• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now come on, Tavy. A bit rich, even by your myopic standards.
I'd hardly call the use of the word "fight" benign in any way. "Struggle", "cause", "mission" perhaps but surely "fight" fundamentally implies some kind of violence?

But hardly surprising from a movement that, from the start, have inspired their tame billionaire press barons to regularly coin phrases like "enemies of the people", "traitors", "surrender", leavened with implied threats of impending insurrection if their own goals are challenged.

Just consider today's front page frothing fury from some of today's papers (from the usual suspects)
SUNDAY TORYGRAPH: "The public will not stand by meekly...."
THE MURDOCH TIMES: "...BREXIT Wreckers..."
THE HEIL ON SUNDAY: "House of Fools"
SUNDAY EXCESS: "Outrage..."
Hardly the language to cultivate reasoned debate....but, of course, perfectly calculated to "rouse the rabble" and, of course, raise the blood pressure(and blood lust?) of their target audiences...plus, of course, their own circulations.

But, of course, it is only we remainers that are the enemies isn't it? - except, of course, when we are taking our little "Tarquins and Cressidas" down to the nearest branch of Waitrose in our 4x4 to stock up on quinoa and vegan burgers ready for the impending apocalypse! :p
I agree with most of what you said and especially the Tory party's press minders.
But I didn't actually mean "fight physically". I meant fight in terms of not accepting NO BREXIT and causing havoc in the EU parliament and in the UK, but not violence. I think little diddy Farage isn't the type : he invites hides in the loo when faced with questions about the Peterboro loss 😂
Such as the approach of those folk on the train coming back from London last night with their "Bolloc*s To Brexit" placards hein ? I was delighted to have correctly anticipated that the 19:00 to Plymouth would depart from Platform 1 to get a head start and grab a seat before that lot.
Awww. Must have been awful for you. A "bollox to BREXIT" poster can be scary.
Never mind, you will be safe in beautiful Tebbern, where the only danger is getting shagged by s randy bull and treading in a cow pat...😉

Last edited:

IndoMike

So your point is now that because we use referenda so sparingly, there hasn’t been enough of them to judge whether we should’ve ignored them or not?
I tell 'ee this, young Tavers. After this debacle you can bet your arse any more calls.for referendums ("referenda" sounds so pretentious) will be greeted with cries of "NOOOO!!).

IndoMike

So, the Tory rebels and their buddies are the main reason for the delay. = BREXIT has been delayed = there is now a chance of a 2nd referendum. BUT, Tavers, who believes in the democratic power of referendums, suddenly hits the brakes and doesn't want a 2nd one, despite the fact we are all better informed of the consequences of BREXIT.
Seems that Tavers was quite happy for the public to vote on TROPES alone, but not on FACTS..Clearly Tavers thinks that REMAIN will win the 2nd referendum, so better not hold it. There's democracy for you : Tavers style.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Utter poppycock. The time for another referendum on the matter, should one be so desired, is after the result of the first referendum has been implemented.

Alistair20000

Awww. Must have been awful for you. A "bollox to BREXIT" poster can be scary.
Never mind, you will be safe in beautiful Tebbern, where the only danger is getting shagged by s randy bull and treading in a cow pat...😉
G2K in post 6,916 was laying into the Brexit supporting press for over colourful language which he saw as not part of reasonable debate. I take it that you regard the words on the poster as conducive to reasonable debate ?

Alistair20000

Utter poppycock. The time for another referendum on the matter, should one be so desired, is after the result of the first referendum has been implemented.
In terms of the EU and any referendum, the Great Unwashed are told “No, wrong answer. Vote again” when they deign to challenge The Project.

IndoMike

That's just your opinion. Millions disagree with you. So I could say your opinion is poppycock, too

IndoMike

G2K in post 6,916 was laying into the Brexit supporting press for over colourful language which he saw as not part of reasonable debate. I take it that you regard the words on the poster as conducive to reasonable debate ?
"Bollox to BREXIT" is not threatening language, and is taken from Johnson's famous "Bollox to Business".

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I’ve never quite understood why remainers think that Farage’s comments about a close loss for Leave in the 2016 referendum is some sort of gotcha moment and a justification for ignoring the result.
If Leave had lost, Farage was merely suggesting that the fight would go on because the people had failed to change the status quo of the UK’s EU membership. That is quite a bit different to remainers thinking they can stop a referendum decision which changed the status quo.
This is comical.

The side that won, expecting Brexit to be what the remain side said it was, say that the leave line of "unfinished business" was wrong.

If that doesn't prove this is a cult...

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
And if the vote had been to remain would you and the others be asking for "a rethink and confirm" I doubt it very much !
Why, did remain mean changing something? Surely a vote to remain was euro, Schengen, EU army, abolish the crown and stick junker on the throne?!?