• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Plenty of footie fans on that train Elgy and lots of footie banter, especially directed at dejected Spurs fans.

BTW: I hope that wasn't you with the furled up EU banner poked precariously in a holder on his back that risked taking someone's eye out as he moved along the escalators in the Tube. I had to tell him/you I was a senior Elf 'n Safetea official and that I felt I would need to report him for endangering the public. In addition I said I hoped he had the relevant indemnity insurance should he ignore my reasonable request and do someone some damage. Was pleased to see him dump the banner in the back of the trailer of the cleaning wagon.

Bolloc*s To The Placard :ROFLMAO:
No, wasn't I, Al. Didn't bother with a placard purely a making up the numbers game, the more the merrier ! Funnily enough had a similar near miss with an eu flag stuck out of a woman's rucksack near Parliament Square, put it down to the perils of activism !

I actually went by coach and had to run the gauntlet of a dozen or so ****** up Brexiters at Reading Services..barracked with "losers" and "feck orf back to Germany". etc etc. Didn't fancy bantering with that lot, you could smell the donkey breath in the air ! :ROFLMAO:

elginCity

Mature democracies honour referendums IMO, especially if that was the understanding before the vote, banana republics engage in the sort of shenanigans you seem to approve of.
Thing is, we are never going to agree are we?
Mature parliamentary democracies pay heed to all kinds of poll but should act in the national interest. Always.

The Cameron executive pledged to 'honour' it, but they've long gone, thank feck ! We can agree on that at least.

tavyred

Mature parliamentary democracies pay heed to all kinds of poll but should act in the national interest. Always.

The Cameron executive pledged to 'honour' it, but they've long gone, thank **** ! We can agree on that at least.
The pledge to honour did not end with Cameron legging it. I’d be interested to know the previous occasions where a referendum or GE result was somehow circumvented by a poll or someone else’s opinion on what the national interest was. I’ll give you a clue, it’s never happened.

elginCity

The pledge to honour did not end with Cameron legging it. I’d be interested to know the previous occasions where a referendum or GE result was somehow circumvented by a poll or someone else’s opinion on what the national interest was. I’ll give you a clue, it’s never happened.
If it's never happened before, then that's probably for very good reason.

Grecian2K

If it's never happened before, then that's probably for very good reason.
Err, well apart (most recently) in Switzerland in April 2019? Most ironically because "the voters hadn't been sufficiently informed"!!!
But hey! Let's not let the truth get in the way of Tavy's lovingly nurtured preconceptions eh?

tavyred

Err, well apart (most recently) in Switzerland in April 2019? Most ironically because "the voters hadn't been sufficiently informed"!!!
But hey! Let's not let the truth get in the way of Tavy's lovingly nurtured preconceptions eh?
Apologies, I meant in U.K. election/referendum history.
There’s a rich heritage of lesser democracies somehow circumventing the will of the people in free and fair votes. I thought we had higher standards and so far it looks we have......who knows though.

elginCity

The EU referendum campaign (on both sides) was a similar 'violation of the freedom of the vote', and proven to be on many counts.

Somebody should let Gina know. :)

arthur

Apologies, I meant in U.K. election/referendum history.
There’s a rich heritage of lesser democracies somehow circumventing the will of the people in free and fair votes. I thought we had higher standards and so far it looks we have......who knows though.
You talk as if there is a long and noble tradition of referendums in this country. As far as I can recall there have been 6 referendums about setting up or extending devolution to Scotland and Wales, one in NI about the GF agreement. All these were fairly straightforward and involved a minority of the UK electorate.
Then there have been the two EU referendums, both of which were called for party management reasons, rather than to invite the electorate to make an informed choice. And that's your lot - have I missed any out?

Last edited:

tavyred

So your point is now that because we use referenda so sparingly, there hasn’t been enough of them to judge whether we should’ve ignored them or not?

IndoMike

Now come on, Tavy. A bit rich, even by your myopic standards.
I'd hardly call the use of the word "fight" benign in any way. "Struggle", "cause", "mission" perhaps but surely "fight" fundamentally implies some kind of violence?

But hardly surprising from a movement that, from the start, have inspired their tame billionaire press barons to regularly coin phrases like "enemies of the people", "traitors", "surrender", leavened with implied threats of impending insurrection if their own goals are challenged.

Just consider today's front page frothing fury from some of today's papers (from the usual suspects)
SUNDAY TORYGRAPH: "The public will not stand by meekly...."
THE MURDOCH TIMES: "...BREXIT Wreckers..."
THE HEIL ON SUNDAY: "House of Fools"
SUNDAY EXCESS: "Outrage..."
Hardly the language to cultivate reasoned debate....but, of course, perfectly calculated to "rouse the rabble" and, of course, raise the blood pressure(and blood lust?) of their target audiences...plus, of course, their own circulations.

But, of course, it is only we remainers that are the enemies isn't it? - except, of course, when we are taking our little "Tarquins and Cressidas" down to the nearest branch of Waitrose in our 4x4 to stock up on quinoa and vegan burgers ready for the impending apocalypse! :p
I agree with most of what you said and especially re the Tory party's press minders.
But I didn't actually mean "fight physically". I meant fight in terms of not accepting NO BREXIT and causing havoc in the EU parliament and in the UK, but not violence. I think little diddy Farage isn't the type : he even hides in the loo when faced with questions about the Peterboro loss 😂