• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City in the Media

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a comment on our specific circumstances in particular, but I'm against long contracts for managers in principle, long rolling ones doubly so.

What's wrong with having a 12-18 month contract then reviewing it regularly (every 6 months) between the parties and agreeing an extension, based on performance?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a comment on our specific circumstances in particular, but I'm against long contracts for managers in principle, long rolling ones doubly so.

What's wrong with having a 12-18 month contract then reviewing it regularly (every 6 months) between the parties and agreeing an extension, based on performance?
Nothing wrong with that deal at all if he's in agreement, but I doubt very much he would be, although only a hunch.

Believe this is an exceptional case for the reasons already given. We're not talking about a journeyman Ron Manager here, but somebody who knows the club and its ethos inside out, has been loyal, helped bring in significant windfall income and is currently doing very well, and has done for a while now. Get the distinct impression security is important to him and his family, and being valued by the club for his contribution likely important too. Offering a 3 year fixed term deal is a punt, but a calculated one as he's taken us up before, and it's a contract I believe he's earned, and most importantly I think it's the only one he might take.

malcolms

Nothing wrong with that deal at all if he's in agreement, but I doubt very much he would be, although only a hunch.

Believe this is an exceptional case for the reasons already given. We're not talking about a journeyman Ron Manager here, but somebody who knows the club and its ethos inside out, has been loyal, helped bring in significant windfall income and is currently doing very well, and has done for a while now. Get the distinct impression security is important to him and his family, and being valued by the club for his contribution likely important too. Offering a 3 year fixed term deal is a punt, but a calculated one as he's taken us up before, and it's a contract I believe he's earned, and most importantly I think it's the only one he might take.
If it's the "only one he will take" then better to walk away.... Any contract has to take account of both sides needs....

Spoonz Red E

Potentially that could certainly be a media story.
Club which stuck with manager after relegation and being bottom of the league gets rid after promotion and millions received in transfer fees ...

Antony Moxey

So let's get this bit right. The Trust ordered the club to serve notice on Tisdales contract. That came about after a motion during Trust meetings to serve notice on said contract. The motion was voted on by members of The Trust who are there as representatives of the fans. They wouldn't have reacted in such a manner if there was a call from fans at large to do so. So, no he wasn't sacked by the fans but his two year rolling contract was terminated by a Trust (representatives of the fans) motion. Therefore the root cause comes back to a desire by the members of The Trust at large (the Fans) followed through by The Trust committee. And you say it wasn't done by the fans????
Yes, let’s get this right: he wasn’t sacked by the fans. OK now?

PeteUSA

If it's the "only one he will take" then better to walk away.... Any contract has to take account of both sides needs....
Absolutely. "The only one he'll take"? Tisdale has no bargaining power in these apparent ongoing contract discussions. We were rock bottom of the league last October FFS. Somehow we made it to the playoff final, which IMHO we threw away. We find ourselves top of the league at present, but as I said earlier, we're only 6 points away from the eighth placed newport. Tisdale's contract shouldnt be up for discussion until early next year. I suspect Tisdale is probably forcing the issue, since he thinks his stock is particularly high right now.

Matt Russell

That Paul Tisdale is a lucky so and so.
Somehow we made it to the playoff final - might that be in part explained by the fact that at a recent count, on another thread, we've got 80 points from 40 matches. An average of two points per match over a prolonged period, he really is such a lucky so and so!

Alistair20000

This. (y)

Red Monster

Absolutely. "The only one he'll take"? Tisdale has no bargaining power in these apparent ongoing contract discussions. We were rock bottom of the league last October FFS. Somehow we made it to the playoff final, which IMHO we threw away. We find ourselves top of the league at present, but as I said earlier, we're only 6 points away from the eighth placed newport. Tisdale's contract shouldnt be up for discussion until early next year. I suspect Tisdale is probably forcing the issue, since he thinks his stock is particularly high right now.
No we are 7 points clear of Newport, how many points do you expect us to be after 12 games FFS ?

Avening Posse

Decent article and great coverage. Glad it was put on here as never would have seen it otherwise