• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City in the Media

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it's the "only one he will take" then better to walk away.... Any contract has to take account of both sides needs....
is of course completely the wrong answer.

Spoonz Red E

it was the '2 years roller' people said they were concerned with. In terms of fixed contracts I think 1 year is too short. 18 months leaves a contract expiry in the middle of a season which could create a new set of dangers. If I was Tis I'd want at least a fixed 2 year contract with negotiations done each summer after the season ends.

IndoMike

Yes, let’s get this right: he wasn’t sacked by the fans. OK now?
He wasn't even sacked, Moxers. Harris has got this totally wrong. Tisdale wasn't sacked by the fans, he wasn't even sacked, and the Daily Mail headline is deliberately dishonest.

IndoMike

Not a comment on our specific circumstances in particular, but I'm against long contracts for managers in principle, long rolling ones doubly so.

What's wrong with having a 12-18 month contract then reviewing it regularly (every 6 months) between the parties and agreeing an extension, based on performance?
Agree entirely. If Tisdale does well his contract will be renewed anyway. He is an employee, and should not become indispensable due to having too much control over the club. Three years is too long!

Red Bill

Agree entirely. If Tisdale does well his contract will be renewed anyway. He is an employee, and should not become indispensable due to having too much control over the club. Three years is too long!
Yes agree with this. Two years ought to be fine, if he comes up with the goods in that time he'll get his contract renewed anyway. There are some really encouraging signs at the moment and I am more optimistic about our prospects than i'very been for years which I credit him with fully, but if he was given 3 years and the wheels come off again we could find ourselves back to square one.

IndoMike

Yes agree with this. Two years ought to be fine, if he comes up with the goods in that time he'll get his contract renewed anyway. There are some really encouraging signs at the moment and I am more optimistic about our prospects than i'very been for years which I credit him with fully, but if he was given 3 years and the wheels come off again we could find ourselves back to square one.
Yes, we are doing very well at the moment and I too am optimistic. But the manager needs to be kept on his toes.

PeteUSA

Yes, we are doing very well at the moment and I too am optimistic. But the manager needs to be kept on his toes.
Absolutely he needs to be kept on his toe's. I know he's looking for financial security for himself and his family, but unfortunately the sort of security he's become accustomed to is not usually available to football managers. He had 16 years of a good thing, but now its over. He's the manager of a results driven job, and should be treated that way. A special contract shouldnt be compiled that makes him happy. The club should meet and agree in fairness to all concerned what to offer Tisdale; and that should be their final offer. The suggestion in the media is worrying where Tagg suggests Tisdales contract should be settled soon, or words to that effect. Why is it up for discussion at this point in the season? Tagg should have noticed by now that Tisdale doesn't appear to want to leave Exeter; a decision that I daresay was arrived at because he'll never get a crazy two year roller at any other club. It surely cant be the money on offer, so I take it that Tisdale is looking for another unique contract, not unlike the one he's been served notice on. We must never again get involved with any manager both now or in the future where a contract is as tricky to deal with as the one Tisdale's been given notice on.

In the words of Roy Orbison: Its Over.

fred binneys head

Toe's???? Come on, FFS - that's not even close to being acceptable.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Toe's???? Come on, FFS - that's not even close to being acceptable.
fred, thats the nature of the beast at most other football clubs. Perhaps Mike could have said: Needs to be kept motivated, but 'kept on his toes' is surely acceptable? I think its fairly safe to say that the club is currently dealing with a 'wag the dog' situation regarding who's really the boss at the club. I still find it worrying that one or two on here are advocating some kind of notice situation for Tisdale that would last three years! The trust must ensure that outrageous clauses dont get included in any 'separation' situation. If down the road Tisdale performs really really badly, he should be out the door, like he would be at most other FL clubs.

Antony Moxey

I imagine Fred’s ire is directed at your misuse of an apostrophe. The plural of ‘toe’ is ‘toes’, there is no need for an apostrophe as that would indicate a possessive, or belonging to the toe or of the toe. It’s a fairly basic rule of English and not difficult to get right.

But he might have been on about something else.