• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your First Non Exeter Profession Football game?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
This one and only one

When Cardiff City toppled Real Madrid in the European Cup Winners' Cup - BBC Sport

My father who was working in Cardiff got the tickets. I believe it was the only football match he ever attended.

I have to say that after the joys of SJP this was Scary....

Last edited:

lamrobhero

23 April 1960. Weekends were a total loss for my Grandad if he couldn't watch a football match. On this day the nearest he could find was Bristol Rovers v Argyle, and he took me with him. Looking back, I wish I could have spent the afternoon trainspotting at Temple Meads instead of watching Argyle ! The good news is that the Greenies lost 2-0, and IIRC one of their players hit the post from about two yards out. It intrigued me to see that the football final we bought afterwards was printed on green paper.
Did you have a canter around the greyhound track at half time ?

Spoonz Red E

Boxing Day 1969

My first and second games in one day.
Chelsea 3 Southampton 1
John Hollins and Ian Hutchinson (2) scored for Chelsea, Mick Channon for Southampton.
Chelsea had quite a team then and would beat Leeds in the FA Cup final later that season after a replay.
Memories - After Chelsea scored their first the crowd surge deposited me and my brother several yards away from where we had been standing. A Southampton player dribbling towards the Chelsea goal - crowd shouting 'Get him Ron" - Ron Harris duly drops him to the floor with no attempt at getting the ball -free kick given and a wagging of the fingers towards Harris from a smiling ref.

Then across town for ...

Spurs 2 Crystal Palace 0
Alan Mullery and Steve Perryman the scorers.
Memories - Being at the front near the corner and almost close enough to touch Jimmy Greaves at times.
Surprising Alan Pinkney by saying hello when he came to take a corner. He had recently been a supply teacher in my class at Hele's School before playing for ECFC and moving on to Palace.

Tim Long

Thought I'd have no idea until the obvious came to me. Tottenham v Stoke 1970. Family day out in London with a very early train journey start, dad making sure we got a compartment to ourselves so my brother and I could lie down and sleep. Don't remember much about the day, think we also visited Westminster Cathedral. Anyhow, I was puzzled by a large advertising hoarding on the Tottenham High Road of Arsenal captain Pat Rice urging people to drink milk. I think Spurs won 2-0 but the only thing I'm fairly sure about is that one of the Stoke players broke his leg - John Ritchie, I believe. I was most impressed by Alan Mullery and an old fella stood in front of us kept offering my brother and I sweets.

Avening Posse

Torquay vs Scunthorpe. My primary school teacher, A Mr Cannon at Westcliff School in Dawlish took a car load of pupils including me. It would have been around 1978 ish, it was a night game and I can’t remember the score !

paperclip

Torquay vs Hereford, one Saturday evening around 1980 I would guess. Dad took me (no idea why) and we stood in the away end. Hereford won 1-0. My abiding memory is arriving expecting Torquay's ground to be of a similar standard to SJP and being somewhat disappointed that in fact it was a bit of a dump!

tonykellowfan

I am pretty sure mine is the Liverpool derby about 1990 when I went to Uni in Liverpool. It might even have been Daglish's last game in charge.

The ticket came from Jamie Redknapp who was an unknown junior at the time and lodged with a mate's Aunt.

My main memory is the horrific crush on the Kop whenever there was a corner at the Kop end, this was when the Kop was still all standing.

The programme had the reserve team news in which we looked at to see if Redknapp got a mention, but all they were banging on about was some kid called Steve McManaman.

Beexfor

I think it was in about 2004 watching Toquay vs Crystal Palace in the away end - Torquay lost on penalties after playing the last hour against 10 men right in front of the away fans, which was nice!!👌

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
October 3 1972: Bristol Rovers 1, Manchester United 1. League Cup

My dad, despite knowing or caring nothing about football, took me (10) and my elder brother to this game. We had moved from Exeter to Taunton the previous year and although I was already an ECFC fan, Man Utd were my team (until I was 18, when I decided to just support City). If my dad had known more about football, he probably wouldn't have got us tickets for the Tote End, where the hardcore Rovers fans stood behind the goal. People kicking each other everywhere, and at that time there was often infiltration of home ends by away fans and Man U and Rovers fans were interspersed, with police around but not doing a lot to stop it. The Man U line-up included Best and Charlton, but this was far from a glory time for Best, who at 26 was already showing signs of lack of fitness due to alcohol. Looking up the game now, I discover that a future City manager, Brian Godfrey, was playing for Rovers, who went on to win the replay at Old Trafford.

StroudGrecian

European Cup Final at Wembley, 10 May 1978, Liverpool 1 Bruges 0.

Got tickets from ECFC at the Near Post - I think all clubs got a handful of tickets to sell on to fans, fortunately my mum dropped by just as they were going on sale (I was at school).