• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your First Non Exeter Profession Football game?

cannockred

Hibs v bristol city in the anglo Scottish cup, 19th october 1977, when I lived in edinburgh. 1 all draw.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Thinking a school trip Chelsea vMiddlesboro. Terry Cooper sent off. Chelsea won 2-1. I think
In the 1970s? Where we are school together?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
This question has sent me into a parallel universe again.

My first live game was at Highfield Road for Coventry vs Watford in the old Division 1 in the early 80s and I remember it, not only because it was my first time going to a football match, but I won the tickets at primary school (so it was definitely before the end of the 1983 / 84 season). I would have put money on the score being 3-1 to Watford, with Luther Blissett scoring a hat-trick (he definitely played). However, I've just been researching this and there was no such scoreline, the only games I can find in the early 80's finished 1-0 to Watford (Blissett played but didn't score) or 2-1 to Watford (Blissett didn't even play).

Absolutely bizarre how the memory plays tricks on you. I'll guess that it was the 1-0 game which took place in January 1983 as I'm certain that Blissett played in the game I watched. This was about a year before my first City game, which was 27th December 1983 (again, I'd have put good money on that finishing 3-1 to Brentford and I even wrote that on my copy of the programme, but the Complete Record says it was only 2-1).

grecIAN Harris

Not sure. Probably one of two grounds, Elm Park, Reading or Goodison Park, Everton during the early 80's but that's as much as I can tell you.

Boyo

1986 Charity Shield at Wembley, Everton 1-1 Liverpool.

Martin Weiler

Brentford v Shrewsbury - 17 October 1964 at Griffin Park. Division 3. A neighbour called round and asked if I’d like to go. Yes, please! It was a feisty game with a good old punch up leading to a sending off apiece. Brentford won 2-0. Only downside was the neighbour standing up within several minutes to go and saying ‘Come on, let’s beat the traffic’. Never have understood how people can leave early!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you have a canter around the greyhound track at half time ?
Not allowed to. I was only a whippet at the time.

iscalad

Brentford v Shrewsbury - 17 October 1964 at Griffin Park. Division 3. A neighbour called round and asked if I’d like to go. Yes, please! It was a feisty game with a good old punch up leading to a sending off apiece. Brentford won 2-0. Only downside was the neighbour standing up within several minutes to go and saying ‘Come on, let’s beat the traffic’. Never have understood how people can leave early!
So, what was your 2nd 1st one?😁

contrabombarde

I used to support Sheffield Wednesday as a boy and went to Hillsborough several times in the mid 50s. Can’t remember any opposition teams though.My heroes were Albert Quixall and Ron Springett in goal.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aston Villa 3 Manchester United 3
Division One, March 14, 1981*

*I know, I don't look old enough lol.