• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yeovil

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lessons to be learnt from Yeovil's success.

1.They spent 100 years in non-league football but it was the system (the old boys club re-election process) which denied them the
opportunity to progress to football league status not any lack of ambition.

2. I think it is highly unlikely that as a Club they ever took the view that they had a predestined position within the football pyramid whether
during their non league days or after gaining promotion to the football league.

3.They have obviously continued to believe and this belief has rewarded them with a place in the Championship.

4. Putting it into perspective Exeter is a City with a population close to 130,000 while Yeovil is circa 40,000 more or less the same as
Tiverton.

Having ambitious plans does not guarantee success but this is the first time in all my 60 plus years of supporting ECFC that I have ever
heard or seen the Club take such a negative approach to a new season. Yes we have to be realistic but it is all about aspirations. We have to kick into touch this negative attitude that because we have spent the majority of years since formation in the lowest league (Division 3 South or 4th Division) we are where we are destined to be and never likely to break that pattern. The Chiefs and Yeovil are proof that this need not be the case. Also Exeter as a City has for some years been bucking the economic trend and developing into a thriving regional centre such that there is a potential level of support sufficient to sustain a successful League One and indeed Championship Club. As I said I believe the Club and its Manager need to change its collective mindset because going into the new season with the current one I certainly would not take any bets against us returning to the Conference and the strong possibilty of doing a Stockport County.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lessons to be learnt from Yeovil's success.

1.They spent 100 years in non-league football but it was the system (the old boys club re-election process) which denied them the
opportunity to progress to football league status not any lack of ambition.

2. I think it is highly unlikely that as a Club they ever took the view that they had a predestined position within the football pyramid whether
during their non league days or after gaining promotion to the football league.

3.They have obviously continued to believe and this belief has rewarded them with a place in the Championship.

4. Putting it into perspective Exeter is a City with a population close to 130,000 while Yeovil is circa 40,000 more or less the same as
Tiverton.

Having ambitious plans does not guarantee success but this is the first time in all my 60 plus years of supporting ECFC that I have ever
heard or seen the Club take such a negative approach to a new season. Yes we have to be realistic but it is all about aspirations. We have to kick into touch this negative attitude that because we have spent the majority of years since formation in the lowest league (Division 3 South or 4th Division) we are where we are destined to be and never likely to break that pattern. The Chiefs and Yeovil are proof that this need not be the case. Also Exeter as a City has for some years been bucking the economic trend and developing into a thriving regional centre such that there is a potential level of support sufficient to sustain a successful League One and indeed Championship Club. As I said I believe the Club and its Manager need to change its collective mindset because going into the new season with the current one I certainly would not take any bets against us returning to the Conference and the strong possibilty of doing a Stockport County.
Very good post , although the only way now I think we'd make it up the Leagues would be with a financial backer unpalatable as that would be to some folk given our past experience in the matter. Certainly Exeter should be big enough to support a Championship side and i think would if served up the right sort of entertaining football.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very good post , although the only way now I think we'd make it up the Leagues would be with a financial backer unpalatable as that would be to some folk given our past experience in the matter. Certainly Exeter should be big enough to support a Championship side and i think would if served up the right sort of entertaining football.
Banksy without wishing to be accused of starting an exeweb "love in" thanks for the complement. I am in total agreement with your comments and have the feeling that there is a definite ground swell developing in support of this view.

EXMADCITY

Firstly, well done The Glovers. Secondly, seeya EXMAD. With support like that you won't be missed. :cool:

Are you going somewhere spanky ??

elginCity

See Yeovil have got some big name players in for pre-season trialling.

Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi, they don't get much bigger than that.

denzil

See Yeovil have got some big name players in for pre-season trialling.

Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi, they don't get much bigger than that.
That's gonna be a hard one to chant unless you shorten it to SNOT :) !!! "We love Snot, We love Snot"!

Grecian_Jay

Big well done to Super Gary Johnson again. Defying the odds but making me money again!

Willy Nilly

Yep excellent work from the Skivers/Johnson dream team.

Welldone Yeovil!