• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yeovil Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today showed why Pym could be ECFC goalkeeper for a very long time, when the defenders in front of him don't eat everything up in the air he isn't able to come out and dominate his box, his lack of height will always hold him back in this regard. At times today crosses and corners were dangerously floating through our six yard box and we looked very fragile against balls into the box.

I'm a big fan of his and his handling and general goalkeeping is excellent however he lacks that extra dominance a 6'4" keeper can give you.

This isn't a dig and I'd be delighted if he's our number 1 for the next 5 years, I just don't see him playing in the Championship or above.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Today showed why Pym could be ECFC goalkeeper for a very long time, when the defenders in front of him don't eat everything up in the air he isn't able to come out and dominate his box, his lack of height will always hold him back in this regard. At times today crosses and corners were dangerously floating through our six yard box and we looked very fragile against balls into the box.

I'm a big fan of his and his handling and general goalkeeping is excellent however he lacks that extra dominance a 6'4" keeper can give you.

This isn't a dig and I'd be delighted if he's our number 1 for the next 5 years, I just don't see him playing in the Championship or above.
Yeovil put some quality balls into our box second half from corners and crosses so good that Pym couldn’t get off his line.

PeteUSA

Today showed why Pym could be ECFC goalkeeper for a very long time, when the defenders in front of him don't eat everything up in the air he isn't able to come out and dominate his box, his lack of height will always hold him back in this regard. I'm a big fan of his and his handling and general goalkeeping is excellent however he lacks that extra dominance a 6'4" keeper can give you.
So you dont think he was a teensy weensy bit culpable for the lashup that resulted in Yeovils first goal? He goes out off of his line at an angle and to me looked favourite to deal with that ball. Somehow the ball evaded him and before you know it, its a goal! I also dont altogether know how he figured in Yeovils second, but again I dont know how the ball went across him at an angle and eventually into the net!

Colesman Ballz

I also dont altogether know how he figured in Yeovils second, but again I dont know how the ball went across him at an angle and eventually into the net!
I am at a loss to understand, that given that you don't seem to know very much at all, why you still find the need to tell us ?

Last edited:

crocks

A real scrappy game in difficult conditions. First half City were poor hardy able to string 2 passes together. Fortunately Yeovil were even worse. But they soon turned that around in the second half and deservedly went 2-1 up with the City defence and particular Croll all at sea.

Forte coming on turned the tide back in City favour and slowly we got a grip of the game and a deserved equaliser. But for a brilliant save from their keeper (who was generally crap all game) Boateng would have got all 3 points for City.

Stockley is an absolute goal machine. The second was very good indeed as there was no pace on the cross and he generated all the power for the header into the very corner of the net.

It has to be said that the spine of the team is very good indeed with Pym, Martin, Boating and Stockley. I believe that every good side should have a good spine and that is what City have.

Just one word re the captain, Taylor. Im really not sure what he brings to the team at the moment. I believe he is playing the holding midfield role but do we need him on the pitch at the same time as Tillson? I know he is the captain but City have other midfielders that can't getting a starting berth that I believe would provide far more to the team than Taylor is currently providing.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you dont think he was a teensy weensy bit culpable for the lashup that resulted in Yeovils first goal? He goes out off of his line at an angle and to me looked favourite to deal with that ball. Somehow the ball evaded him and before you know it, its a goal! I also dont altogether know how he figured in Yeovils second, but again I dont know how the ball went across him at an angle and eventually into the net!
You obviously didn't understand my post.

whiff

A couple of other quick thoughts about yesterday's game. Firstly I haven't seen anyone else mention what I thought was another great interview by Matt Taylor; I know it's possible to over-exaggerate the importance of these interviews but I still thought he was refreshingly honest and didn't try to hide what he was thinking and feeling. Secondly I thought Matt Jay did really well when he came on. He didn't have the game-changing impact of Jonathan Forte but we were on the front foot the entire time Jay was on the pitch and I thought he was a big part of the reason why. I think he has been very unlucky not to play more this season and on yesterday's performance he should probably be ahead of Lee Martin in the pecking order.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay tried hard when he came on however he isn't a wide player, if Jay is going to play it is going to be centrally however we have better players in that area of the pitch.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the subject of Jay, if you type Matt Jay into Google on the right hand side of the page it lists him as being 1.78 m tall !!

Someone needs a new tape measure !

Grecian2K

On the subject of Jay, if you type Matt Jay into Google on the right hand side of the page it lists him as being 1.78 m tall !!

Someone needs a new tape measure !
Ah. But them ain't any old metres....them's Arizonan metres [tap]