• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yeovil Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
EB will be very interested to hear their reply and more importantly what they might be prepared to do to improve what has become an abysmal level commentary service.
I think much depends on how good the actual match commentator is. Todays was particularly poor with him talking about when he lived in Morecambe, and other stuff non related to football. I dont think you can blame Graham Kirk; the standard is set by the main man. If hes not very competent (like today!) Graham gets pulled down to the same level and they're both floundering. They wind up chattering in general. As I said before, I did wonder how people with commentary only managed with todays match.

Grecian Max

Yeovil were the first team I’ve seen really mark Nicky Law out of the game. Got to give them credit for that.

Last edited:

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think much depends on how good the actual match commentator is. Todays was particularly poor with him talking about when he lived in Morecambe, and other stuff non related to football. I dont think you can blame Graham Kirk; the standard is set by the main man. If hes not very competent (like today!) Graham gets pulled down to the same level and they're both floundering. They wind up chattering in general. As I said before, I did wonder how people with commentary only managed with todays match.
Only caught the last 30 minutes but thought it was a very poor,rambling effort.Learnt more about the match from the Twitter feed.

Red Devon

Thought Jordan Tilson did his job today and had a fair game...but what a difference Jonathon Forte makes to our team all of a sudden we had balance, shape and a proper attacking purpose, playing Tilson as an extra holding midfielder along side Jake Taylor just anchors us in to our own half....Yeovil won the midfield and were nearly always first to the ball...Boat and Stockley were excellent.

dontpassback

A game we should have put to bed,Yeovil were ther for the taking first half,but we didn’t dominate and they fought back,albeit with our help,but we rallied scored a second and could have won it at the end,but nevertheless it’s a point away from home,and keeps us in the mix.matt will know what we didn’t do and will certainly sort it out.credit to forte and matt jay who provided a bit of energy,hopefully Nicky laws injury isn’t too bad:):)

Early Bath

EB will be very interested to hear their reply and more importantly what they might be prepared to do to improve what has become an abysmal level commentary service.
I shouldn't hold your breath !

Saint James

Difficult to decide if that was a point gained or two dropped? When we scored we didn't really push on and Yeovil were one dimensional from back to front. Two good crosses into the box ended up in the back of the net courtesy of a very good Stockley but the number of times we got to the byeline were few and far between. Lee Martin in particular isn't imposing himself despite a pedigree which indicates he ought to? Best player for me was Boaeting who carried the ball wonderfully but was at times frustrating. Pym's dead ball kicking was again poor and Arron Martin spoiled an effective game by giving the ball away for Yeovil's second. All in all apart from the first and last ten minutes I thought we were off the pace and made way too many errors to have won the game. Sloppy is the best way to describe our performance

Spoonz Red E

Thought we could have added to our goal in a first half which was quite comfortable for us. Gave away possession far too cheaply but also some credit is due to Yeovil for their midfield interceptions. I particularly liked their number 20, D'Almeida who isn't the tallest of players but won every header and passed the ball to feet quickly when he had possession (he spoilt his performance with a bit of silly time wasting near the end, sprinting away from the scene of his game stopping 'injury'). Once we'd got the second Yeovil seemed to set themselves up to play the game out for a draw and we almost snatched it at the end. I'll happily take an away point from a performance that was way under par for us generally.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Frustrating performance and disappointing not to win.

I didn't think we were great in the first half and there was very little in the game, we looked a threat at times without doing enough.

Second half was a different game, Croll showed why I'm still not convinced by him, he's still too error prone and switches off too often, saying that the rest of the back four were also poor today and Pym looked shaky at times, we looked weak when defending corners and Yeovil looked like scoring each time they put the ball into our box.

Forte looked a real threat when he came on and was unfortunate not to get in on goal a few times.

I thought Boateng was our MOM and I don't normally say that, Law was poor by his high standards, I would have moved him to a more central role in the second half, Stockley keeps delivering so he pushes Boateng close, overall we weren't impressive today with too many weak performances.

With the formation Yeovil played (which was pretty attacking) we should have dominated the middle of the park however we didn't seem to.

Shame Ogbene got injured in the warm up as I think he could have ripped their left back to pieces.

Regarding Yeovil, their keeper was very very dodgy but I liked the look of Fisher, he worked hard, held the ball up well, scored and generally looked a real threat, he's a player we should keep tabs on if we ever lose Stockley.

Last edited:

Stelios

Yeovil keeper is on loan from Chelsea (according to the radio). They thought he was dodgy too.

Must admit I didn't mind the ramble chats from Radio Devon guys today but the "commentary" for the goal was unforgivable! No build up or anything for the previous 30 seconds leading up to it. Had no idea the ball was even in play let alone what half it was in or who had possession. "Came out of nowhere" apparently but I'm sure the ball didn't just appear out of thin air for Stockers to score(!)

Sounds like we need Forte and Boateng together to really have a go at teams. We should be winning these games but any point away from home is a good one. Although obviously 1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws........

Yet more soft goals given away.......