• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What was the last pub you visited...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep remember a dust up that the Angels had in there mate..One of the Satan’s Slaves was attacked & badly injured with a sledgehammer..It came about iirc,a couple of bikers from a London Angels chapter were shot & killed in the New Forest & it was a revenge attack...I did a bit of work for the lad who was badly beaten in the Vaults & he was in a bad way even a couple of years after the attack..It would have been around the mid 1980s
I got confused with the Queen Vic(opposite Central Station) & the Queens Vaults on the corner of Gandy St.The attack was in the Queens Vaults,a pretty ‘tasty’ pub back in the day..I think it is just Vaults now,with a entirely different clientele.

IndoMike

I got confused with the Queen Vic(opposite Central Station) & the Queens Vaults on the corner of Gandy St.The attack was in the Queens Vaults,a pretty ‘tasty’ pub back in the day..I think it is just Vaults now,with a entirely different clientele.
To be honest, Exeter had its fair share of dodgy pubs once upon a time. i could name at least 6 or 7 I would be loathe to enter unless on a pub crawl with a gang of mates.

Oldsmobile-88

To be honest, Exeter had its fair share of dodgy pubs once upon a time. i could name at least 6 or 7 I would be loathe to enter unless on a pub crawl with a gang of mates.
Indeed..Never liked the pubs in Whipton,always a bad atmosphere if you were a ‘outsider’.CCTV has made a huge difference to pubs in the past couple of decades.

IndoMike

Indeed..Never liked the pubs in Whipton,always a bad atmosphere if you were a ‘outsider’.CCTV has made a huge difference to pubs in the past couple of decades.
Walking thru the city centre after closing time got dodgy, too. Having said that, there were pubs in Newcastle where the cops and cop dogs used to hang out Friday/Saturday nights. Went to Scotswood Road with student friends after sufficient Dutch courage, which was also an "education".

IndoMike

Never had a drink in Whipton, Stoke Hill etc. Some of the city centre pubs were rough. More or less when we did pub crawls from St. Thomas visiting all pubs up to the Black Horse was Ok, but a few had a bad vibes feel.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Pursuit of Hoppiness, a new "craft beer" place that has popped up on Longbrook Street.

Would be hard to enumerate just how many things are wrong with this place - over-priced "craft" beer, which is poorly kept & badly served, with the inevitable one-dimensional over-hopped flavour which has become the default for "craft" beer. Meanwhile, the "decor" is plywood mdf & the cheapest pine - uncomfortable seating, dreadful deafening acoustics, & unfinished boxing.

A perfect case-study in how to get a bar utterly & completely wrong.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Probably the same pubs that I would have called friendly lol Let me take a guess at ... The Dolphin , Coachmakers , Mitre, Mint, Queen Vic Thrupenny bit, Long Bar, Skinny Dog, London Inn, The Albert could get lively as could the Violent soldier.

The Chev was a good pub with Holly serving behind the bar Her and Angus would yap on like an old married couple for hours.

There were a few others that could be deemed dodgy on any given night but as long as you knew someone in there then there wasn't much fuss given to outsiders.

iscalad

Probably the same pubs that I would have called friendly lol Let me take a guess at ... The Dolphin , Coachmakers , Mitre, Mint, Queen Vic Thrupenny bit, Long Bar, Skinny Dog, London Inn, The Albert could get lively as could the Violent soldier.

The Chev was a good pub with Holly serving behind the bar Her and Angus would yap on like an old married couple for hours.

There were a few others that could be deemed dodgy on any given night but as long as you knew someone in there then there wasn't much fuss given to outsiders.
The Gardners..say no more.

Had my first ever pint in the London Inn.

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

The Gardners..say no more.
Gardeners Arms used to be a stopover for some Devon General bus drivers on the Rifford Road 'R' route.
They'd nip out of the bus while it was at the timed stop for a pee and manage to catch a swift half whilst in there.

LOG

The Mint was a horrible place. It permanently stank of the toilets, it was always cold in there, they only sold crap, fizzy lager and some of the customers weren't the most pleasant of people.

Just me opinion, like.