• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What is a 'Typical' Exeter City fan?

Having gone over a few of the other threads. This has been brought up a few times especially in the extra long 'yellow card' thread.

I would see it as being some that supports the club through the lean times and times we're doing well. I'm sure many would say as I'm not currently living in Exeter or indeed the UK, I am not entitled have a opinion of the current matters within the club as I'm not able to attended the games as much as I'd like.

For the record the last match i attended was Wycombe at home in 2012 and I brought my son. I attend to brain wash him with my home town club as I take pride in it being so. He is half Exonian after all (rofl)

I do not claim to represent the typical fan, only myself. All my opinions are my own and mine alone.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
A typical Exeter City fan, I assume, gets to the games he/she can (however many or few that may be).

I'd have said I was a typical fan until my involvement with Exeweb. Now I hear the odd snippet of news I would never have been privvy to before, so I'd consider myself closer to the action than the typical fan. This "bonus", however, hasn't made me one iota happier.

I now feel more alienated than the "typical" fan.

And the more I hear, the more alienated I feel...

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having gone over a few of the other threads. This has been brought up a few times especially in the extra long 'yellow card' thread.

I would see it as being some that supports the club through the lean times and times we're doing well. I'm sure many would say as I'm not currently living in Exeter or indeed the UK, I am not entitled have a opinion of the current matters within the club as I'm not able to attended the games as much as I'd like.

For the record the last match i attended was Wycombe at home in 2012 and I brought my son. I attend to brain wash him with my home town club as I take pride in it being so. He is half Exonian after all (rofl)

I do not claim to represent the typical fan, only myself. All my opinions are my own and mine alone.
Firstly, you need have no qualms in having an opinion. Our friend from Arizona has plenty. :D I met a City fan last February who was over at SJP for the first time in 8 years and moved to Christchurch, NZ 24 years ago. He still follows City avidly.

To answer your question, I'm not sure there is a "typical" City fan. Like all people everywhere, we all have our individual opinions on every facet of the club. We all have differing family responsibilities that impinge on how and when we attend games. The underlying element is that we are all part of the Exeter City family. We smile when they win and grimace when they lose but, mostly, we still follow and support them, be it from near or far.

I think people talk about "the typical City fan" in the way that politicians talk of "the hard working taxpayer". It's a generic term that means nothing other than the sharing of a common bond.

Hope that helps!!

contrabombarde

A typical Exeter City fan, I assume, gets to the games he/she can (however many or few that may be).

I'd have said I was a typical fan until my involvement with Exeweb. Now I hear the odd snippet of news I would never have been privvy to before, so I'd consider myself closer to the action than the typical fan. This "bonus", however, hasn't made me one iota happier.

Cracking post. Spot on. Me too!

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster

Knowledge isn't always power, dear Spanky.

As for me, still love the club to bits, I have friends who work there in different capacities. I won't bore people with why I don't get to games as I have explained it a few times before, but just cos I don't go, doesn't stop me being a fan. Just cos I criticise some at the club, doesn't stop me being a fan.

I'm just not allowed to moan if we lose ;)

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Knowledge isn't always power, dear Spanky.

As for me, still love the club to bits, I have friends who work there in different capacities. I won't bore people with why I don't get to games as I have explained it a few times before, but just cos I don't go, doesn't stop me being a fan. Just cos I criticise some at the club, doesn't stop me being a fan.

I'm just not allowed to moan if we lose ;)
No delusions of power here Shabba.

Living abroad for 8-9 years the little bits of news, albeit pretty much what everyone else gets (only a day or two earlier), really make you feel "closer" to home. Well, they did at the beginning...

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
No delusions of power here Shabba.

Living abroad for 8-9 years the little bits of news, albeit pretty much what everyone else gets (only a day or two earlier), really make you feel "closer" to home. Well, they did at the beginning...
I know what you mean, have heard things before it becomes public knowledge and some things that still haven't become public knowledge and all you can do is keep schtum.

kezziebeat

I'm going to get a bit sentimental here...

I take no shame in not attending many games, I still care about the club. I'll be out watching Soccer Saturday and if there's a goal I still get up and dance around and shout, I still rage at losing and yell at the TV.

It's been at least 4 years since I was last at SJP and I can count the away games I've been to on one hand.
I don't believe it makes anyone less of a fan. It's how much you care about the club that makes it. Whether you are angry at the way things are right now or hopeful for the future, we all have Exeter in common.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm going to get a bit sentimental here...

I take no shame in not attending many games, I still care about the club. I'll be out watching Soccer Saturday and if there's a goal I still get up and dance around and shout, I still rage at losing and yell at the TV.

It's been at least 4 years since I was last at SJP and I can count the away games I've been to on one hand.
I don't believe it makes anyone less of a fan. It's how much you care about the club that makes it. Whether you are angry at the way things are right now or hopeful for the future, we all have Exeter in common.
Brilliant post from beginning to end. And the circumstances are almost the same as mine.

Leads

Generalizing a bit but I would say the typical Exeter City fan: Has a degree of understanding that the team will mostly struggle, likes to see youth team players coming through, isn't as fussed about the standard of a stadium compared to some other fans, sometimes negative but portrays this in a tame way, no boycotts, no protests just a bit of booing at the end of the game.