• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What happens if the Planning Application fails?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the level of objection to the scale of the development being displayed on the Exeter City Council website by David Treharne and others from the St. James’ area, is there a possibility that the planning application could either be rejected or modified substantially to the point where Yelverton would not be prepared even to fund the Old Grandstand replacement?

Grecian Red (with his substantial planning experience) warned about the dangers of not engaging with the St. James’ Forum approximately two years ago. That lack of foresight from the Club in not doing so at an early stage appears to have come back to bite them on the backside. It could also have possibly saved an enormous amount being spent on consultants’ fees , and I have not seen much evidence of those consultants also engaging with the Forum. The one possible redeeming feature that I can envisage is that if Exeter City Council seek to kill the planning application then they would (or ought to) realize that it could also be the death knell of the Club as the current financial model is clearly unsustainable in the long run unless greater off field income is generated through a substantial redevelopment of St. James’ Park. This is one of the very few avenues left for the Council to support the Club. Certainly in a response to my FOI request, the Council have clearly indicated that they are not prepared to make a direct financial contribution to the redevelopment. They are not even prepared to make landlords’ repairs to SJP. Their only other options would be to sell the freehold to the Club so that the Club can make the best use of it (although again they have indicated to me in that FOI request that they have no intention of doing so) or to sell the freehold directly to a housing developer and pass the proceeds of that sale over to the Club to help finance a move away from St. James’ Park. In doing this the Council would gain from government grants available for promoting new housing developments (the method to be used to fund the bus station site), and this would also redress the balance of student accommodation/ residential accommodation in the area. The problem here, as I have warned so many times, is the lack of alternative sites, and the Council would need to be very proactive in finding one.

If the planning application fails and the Council is still not prepared to help in the ways that I have outlined above, then what can the Trust and Club do to effect their own redevelopment solution?

1. If it wishes to maintain, or even enhance its credibility, the Trust must take the lead on the project , at the same time dispensing with its ‘ruralistic’ approach and concentrate on the main issues.

2. Clearly we have received little or no value from the enormous amount spent on consultancy fees. The Trust should set itself to sanction any further spending, investigate why we have spent so much to date, and perhaps take to task those responsible.

3. I have long espoused the value to the Trust in having a Capital Projects Working Group. Why hasn’t this been set up? St. James’ Park would need to be redeveloped on a piecemeal basis in the future and a Capital Projects Working Group would be tasked with identifying the critical path in the chain and then funding each stage of the project without adversely affecting the overall financial position of the Club.

4. The Club still does not have the credibility to be able to borrow money. However this does not apply to the Trust and the Trust could make short term use of that ability by perhaps borrowing from the City Council at very low PWLB related rates or perhaps from a securitized loan based on assigned membership income in order to be able to finance some of those stages that need to be completed in one hit.

5. I think the public would be supportive of staged redevelopment projects and would readily support fundraising schemes where they could see their money being directly applied rather than disappearing into the Club black hole.

6. The lease should be sorted immediately before the start of any staged project – no whys, wherefores , ifs or buts. Let us know what we’re dealing with, and the improvements that could be made through any form of enabling contribution without being financially punitive.

Fareham Grecian

I'd be very surprised if the Trust is legally allowed to borrow money - does anyone know definitively?

And isn't SJP earmarked in planning terms for sporting/recreational use - meaning that housing development is impossible?

And the current financial model is not 'clearly unsustainable' - we are sustaining it! Hand to mouth admittedly, but it IS sustainable.

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
SJP is currently earmarked for sporting use but if an alternative site can be found and then classified for sporting use then SJP could certainly be used for housing. I can't recall Beazer Homes buying SJP for sporting use!

Fareham Grecian

SJP is currently earmarked for sporting use but if an alternative site can be found and then classified for sporting use then SJP could certainly be used for housing. I can't recall Beazer Homes buying SJP for sporting use!
I think the condition was imposed after the Beazer sale; and I think it's permanent.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the condition was imposed after the Beazer sale; and I think it's permanent.
Grecian Red would give the definitive answer but I can confirm it wasn't permanent at the time of Drivers Jonas, when we were looking at alternative sites.

AlanDevlin

With the level of objection to the scale of the development being displayed on the Exeter City Council website by David Treharne and others from the St. James’ area,
To quantify 'the level of objection' - from ECC website this afternoon, 269 are listed as consultees, and there have been 122 responses of which 107 in support.... 11 against and 4 general comments.

The thrust of the objections to the scheme are indeed largely against the size and style of the student accommodation development and questioning the need for it, in fact some specifically support the Grandstand replacement and oppose the rest of the scheme.

To answer the OP's question in the topic header, the answer to what happens lies in ECC's refusal statement if/when it is issued.... but any refusal moves ECC further between a rock and a hard place in respect of their position as landlords and the OG - OG is well past it's sell by date, and is, I believe, within sight of condemnation.... Will SJP be a 3 sided ground for a while? Just maybe....

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd imagine if the application fails we'll carry on in much the same way as we have for the last 100 or so years.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the planning application fails I reckon rightwing might start a thread on it.

GrecianWonder

If the planning application fails I reckon rightwing might start a thread on it.
I think of its successful he'll make a thread too.

DanceMagnet

I'm sure Taggy will come up with some new wonder plan to fleece supporters and get the development completed without the need for any student accommodation.