• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And, right on cue, here come the culture warriors!

Call to remove Of Mice and Men from GCSE course - BBC News

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
And, right on cue, here come the culture warriors!

Call to remove Of Mice and Men from GCSE course - BBC News
You mean one schoolgirl who doesn't want it.
I'm very annoyed that people give this airspace.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed - but you can see the BBC's bent on this sort of thing. They love a bit of culture war.

angelic upstart

Indeed - but you can see the BBC's bent on this sort of thing. They love a bit of culture war.
They all love that ********. One darned clown says some dumb shit and everyone talks about it like it's important.

Literally, no one gives a ****. Give it up already.

Hopefully, the swear filter makes this make sense :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ha - I get the gist!

Rosencrantz

Maybe someone should point out to her that literature is educational just like history. It can provoke feelings that are uncomfortable, just like all mediums of art, and it is all the better for it at times.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loved reading Tom Sawyer and also The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but you do have to wonder how schools deal with the issues around slavery and the language used. Maybe they just sweep these classics under the carpet.

angelic upstart

Loved reading Tom Sawyer and also The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but you do have to wonder how schools deal with the issues around slavery and the language used. Maybe they just sweep these classics under the carpet.
Maybe they explain like they did to us and say something like "in the old days, they did bad stuff, proper bad stuff not the wooly ***** of nowadays, beware of that and count yourself lucky"

Swanaldo

20230526_122432.jpg

I think the thread title should be "Which books are you kinda reading right now, and should probably finish before you start a new one?"

Rosencrantz

View attachment 11649

I think the thread title should be "Which books are you kinda reading right now, and should probably finish before you start a new one?"
Well I have read the top and bottom of that pile. Both are good but especially enjoyed Robert Webb's. Just getting toward the end of the new book by The Secret Barrister, Nothing But The Truth.