• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just finished War Doctor: Surgery on the Front Line by David Nott. A fascinating read of a surgeon who has worked with the armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan and volunteered for the likes of the Red Cross and Medicins Sans Frontieres in places as diverse as Sierra Leone, Haiti and Syria. A very dangerous undertaking at times and often quite a difficult read as well although very illuminating.

Bridgy 81

My book reading is almost exclusively music or football related.
So nothing very educational I’m afraid.
I’ve recently completed Martin O’Neill’s and Brian Johnson’s (AC/DC vocalist) new autobiographies.
I’m currently reading Francis Benali’s. I’m still on the bit about his colourful (mostly red) football career then he‘ll be describing some of his incredible post-playing, endurance challenges that he’s subsequently undertaken whilst fundraising for charity.
Alan Smith’s, ex-Arsenal striker, and ex-Sex Pistol, Steve Jones’, next on the bedside table.
I love libraries!

otterton reds

My book reading is almost exclusively music or football related.
So nothing very educational I’m afraid.
I’ve recently completed Martin O’Neill’s and Brian Johnson’s (AC/DC vocalist) new autobiographies.
I’m currently reading Francis Benali’s. I’m still on the bit about his colourful (mostly red) football career then he‘ll be describing some of his incredible post-playing, endurance challenges that he’s subsequently undertaken whilst fundraising for charity.
Alan Smith’s, ex-Arsenal striker, and ex-Sex Pistol, Steve Jones’, next on the bedside table.
I love libraries!

otterton reds

I read Steve Jones autobiography last month Iam now reading Chris Hargreaves

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned in the politics today thread, I'm reading Konstantin Kisin's "An Immigrant's Love Letter to the West".

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s a shame about Ray - Jonathan Seidler

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of Mice and Men. Never read it before and knew nothing about the book. Wow! Wasn't expecting that ending.

Sometimes you realise why a certain book is a classic and this is one of them.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Of Mice and Men. Never read it before and knew nothing about the book. Wow! Wasn't expecting that ending.

I remember reading it in my English class when I was in Wyoming. Bona fide classic.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster

Can't beat a classic but short novel.

Of Mice And Men is one of the very best!

lamrobhero

Yes. Great book (though I think that it was also written so that it could be performed in the theatre). The dream of acquiring a house and a bit of land is powerful.

I read all of John Steinbeck's books and some of his journalism in my late teens. Now I recognise his flaws as a writer and as a person but Of Mice and Men is one of his best.

I think of John Stenbeck everytime a drive along the A303 to London past Cadbury Castle (site of Camelot?). The King Arthur legend was an inspiration for the young Steinbeck. In the 1950s he came to the UK to rewrite the King Arthur legend staying in a cottage at Bruton. It was not going well (and never completed). One day he ascended Cadbury Castle and looked at the view (including Glastonbury Tor). He was moved to tears maybe because he had reached his limit.