• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lord of the Silver Bow. David Gemmell. Book One of the Troy series. Have read all of his books apart from this particular series so looking forward to it. Have the other two in reserve ready.

Jam Doughnut

Bram stoker's Dracula , finally got around to reading it after about 25 years.. Even mentions Exeter in it.

Rosencrantz

Bram stoker's Dracula , finally got around to reading it after about 25 years.. Even mentions Exeter in it.
I read it at college. Quite slow paced to start with but then just gains momentum. One of my favourite books with its distinctive narrative structure.

Alistair20000

Just starting my book on Ernest Bevin: Labour's Churchill by Andrew Adonis

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith

The central character is Arkady Renko who some might remember as played by William Hurt in the film 'Gorky Park.'

Renko loses his Communist Party card and is sentenced to serve as 'Seaman 2nd class' on a Soviet fish-factory ship plying Artic waters between Siberia and Alaska. A young girl is murdered onboard and the Captain and a friendly undercover KGB officer order him to investigate the murder which pits him against a group headed by the ship's almighty Political Commissar.

StroudGrecian

The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin
Well I liked this so much I'm now ploughing through book 2 in the series - The Obelisk Gate

Banksy

Last of the Ten Fighter Boys. Jimmy Corbin DFC. Flight Lieutenant Corbin’s account of how he left his employment as a young schoolteacher to train as a pilot and joined a frontline Spitfire squadron to take part in the Battle of Britain.Starting off as a raw pilot all he had was just over twenty hours of flying experience under his belt. A Maidstone lad , he fought over the sky’s of his own home town. Interestingly, , one of his postings later was to Exeter with his squadron after the Battle of Britain.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last of the Ten Fighter Boys. Jimmy Corbin DFC. Flight Lieutenant Corbin’s account of how he left his employment as a young schoolteacher to train as a pilot and joined a frontline Spitfire squadron to take part in the Battle of Britain.Starting off as a raw pilot all he had was just over twenty hours of flying experience under his belt. A Maidstone lad , he fought over the sky’s of his own home town. Interestingly, , one of his postings later was to Exeter with his squadron after the Battle of Britain.
Just carried out a check on this book Mr B and will pop into my local "Prospect Charity Shop" (books & Maps) and ask them to keep an eye open for it. May I also mention an autobiography called 'Fly For Your Life' by that great fighter ace Robert Roland Stanford Tuck who was much connected with Kent.

This may also be of interest to you and others regarding a Polish Squadron (note it's motto) that gave sterling service during it's stay at RAF Exeter..

Banksy

Thanks for the link Stuffy , very interesting. The title of the book I’m reading comes from the book by Wing Commander Athol Forbes Ten Fighter Boys in which ten pilots wrote a chapter early in the war.Within a couple or so years half of them were dead sadly. Jimmy Corbin who wrote chapter three was the last surviving member of the contributors.I see this latter book is available on Amazon for a penny plus postage so I may pick it up sometime after reading this one.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

This may also be of interest to you and others regarding a Polish Squadron (note it's motto) that gave sterling service during it's stay at RAF Exeter..

Was that squadron involved in the Baedeker raids ? (Memories of that as an Advent Calendar Quiz question posted by Elgy IIRC)

I have a film Squadron 303 recently recorded about a Polish WWII unit. Sub titles unfortunately