• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

The stories of Odin, Thor and Loki told in readable English!!!! Some of the stories are just weird - Loki pretends to be a horse to lure a stallion away from its owner, take the whole pretending thing too far, gets pregnant and gives birth to a 8 legged horse 😱
I’ve seen that book a few times lately in charity shops and almost picked it up as I’m interested in the subject. Just the fact that I’ve so much piled up to read has stopped me. Must look out for it again!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley. It's been ages since I've read anything by Steinbeck, nice easy style. Written in 1962, this is Steinbeck trying to rediscover the real America.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Himmler Brothers by Katrin Himmler

The author who is married to an Israeli born Jew was the the great-granddaughter of Ernst the youngest of the three brothers. She began the research for her book after the US Army handed over the Himmler files soon after the reunification of Germany. While still at school she first came across the abhorrence for the Himmler name when a classmate asked her if she was related to "that Himmler?" When she answered in the affirmative the teacher hurriedly stepped in and stopped any further conversation. The author discusses each brother in turn from when they left school, their subsequent careers - which included membership of the SS, the Nazi Party and finally the fate that awaited each of them.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cooper's Creek ~ The story of the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition into the burning interior of Central Australia (1860-61) by Alan Moorehead.

Banksy

Valley of Death. Scott Mariani. Ex SAS Ben Hope involved in yet another kidnapping and shoot ups. Hope sorts out the nasties and wins the day in his usual satisfying way.
O.k for an undemanding read in these unusual times.

iscalad

Valley of Death. Scott Mariani. Ex SAS Ben Hope involved in yet another kidnapping and shoot ups. Hope sorts out the nasties and wins the day in his usual satisfying way.
O.k for an undemanding read in these unusual times.
Read most of his books. As you say passes the time pleasantly enough. Have you ever read Steve Berry or Andy McDermott? All along similar lines.

Banksy

Read most of his books. As you say passes the time pleasantly enough. Have you ever read Steve Berry or Andy McDermott? All along similar lines.
No , but will keep them in mind when wandering the charity shops after we’ve been released thanks!
Have been reading the Nowhere Man series by Gregg Hurwitz , would recommend them too.
Just started rereading David Gemmell’s Waylander for the umpteenth time.Now he really knew how to sort out the baddies.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Generals. by Mark Urban

The author chose ten commanderswho he considers changed the world. You've got the usual like Wellington, Monck and Montgomery but the two generals that intrigued me the most were John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough and general J.F.C. Fuller. Marlborough was such a scourge to the French that mothers would frighten their children to go to sleep or the Duc de Marlborough would come for them. Famous for his great victories at Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet, I didn't realize that he was the son of a Devonian Squire and was born at Ash, Musbury, in dear old Devon.

Fuller was a forward thinking but decidedly weird sort of bloke who was very much the author of the tank/blitzkrieg tactics used by the Germans during WW2. General Guderian was the leading exponent of Fuller's ideas actually paid to have his books translated from English into German. Invited to Hitlers 50th birthday parade, he watched three hours of mechanised and motorised units roar past their Fuhrer. Afterwards Hitler asked, "I hope you were pleased with your children?" Fuller replied, "Your excellency, they have grown up so quickly I no longer recognise them." Later on Fuller was to involved with Mosley and Aleister Crowley.

Turner is definitely worth a google.

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn , the true story of a couple who had lost their home and their livelihood, and the man was terminally ill , they impulsively decided with nothing left and little time to walk the 630 mile South West Coastal Path .

Banksy

Blue Man Falling. Fiction. Frank Barnard.About RAF Hurricane pilots stationed in France in WW2 during the ‘phoney war’ before the Battle of Britain.First in a series of three.
Excellent story telling.