• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was the directors thing that got me olds. People who you might expect to have the best interests of the club at heart but some of them taking advantage and screwing the club over.
Oh, forgot to add, there is an excellent photo of Tis marking John Barnes in a game and it looks very much like Tis is about to grab Barnseys balls.😁

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Alan Ball's autobiography details some of the stuff when he was managing City - my memory of it's a bit vague (I read it during lunch hours in WH Smith when I worked in Putney in the mid-2000s) but I'm sure at one point he was handed an envelope full of cash by a director after the club sold a player, being told it was his "cut" and recoiling in horror.

Alistair20000

Alan Ball's autobiography details some of the stuff when he was managing City - my memory of it's a bit vague (I read it during lunch hours in WH Smith when I worked in Putney in the mid-2000s) but I'm sure at one point he was handed an envelope full of cash by a director after the club sold a player, being told it was his "cut" and recoiling in horror.

I hope you were not reading it without buying it Jason.

les.gtfc

"Ollie" The Autobiography of Ian Holloway.

Eagerly anticipating the reprint in 10 years time when he's taken us into The Premier League. :)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Ollie" The Autobiography of Ian Holloway.

Eagerly anticipating the reprint in 10 years time when he's taken us into The Premier League. :)
Can you people understand Bristolian in those parts o_O

geoffwp

The making of the British Landscape by Nicholas Crane. A fascinating account spanning 12,000 years from the end of the last ice age to the present, of the forces at play during this history that affected change on the landscape. Climate change, tsunamis, migration, politics and war all playing a part. Very well written and considering the timescale he is dealing with he keeps the pace up and interest hooked. It's a great story.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Tim Parks: Italian Ways (on an off the rails from Milan to Palermo). Tim has been in Italy for 30 years and uses the trains to travel. This is his musings on Italian trains, tickets, passengers and railway workers. An appropriate book for me at this time as I move from Milan by train to Genoa, by ferry to Palermo, then train to Bologna via Naples and on to Munich via the Brenner Pass. An enjoyable book and quite good as light reading.

Steve H

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

The stories of Odin, Thor and Loki told in readable English!!!! Some of the stories are just weird - Loki pretends to be a horse to lure a stallion away from its owner, take the whole pretending thing too far, gets pregnant and gives birth to a 8 legged horse 😱

Rosencrantz

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

The stories of Odin, Thor and Loki told in readable English!!!! Some of the stories are just weird - Loki pretends to be a horse to lure a stallion away from its owner, take the whole pretending thing too far, gets pregnant and gives birth to a 8 legged horse 😱
Mythos by Stephen Fry is similar except obviously for Greek mythology. Even in very accessible English it sends your head spinning to keep up with some of it needing to refer to the "family tree" diagrams at the front.

Steve H

Mythos by Stephen Fry is similar except obviously for Greek mythology. Even in very accessible English it sends your head spinning to keep up with some of it needing to refer to the "family tree" diagrams at the front.
That may have to be my next read then!!

Agree that the intro in the Norse book listing the main gods and how they are related was very useful....