• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We've come a long way - any views on next steps

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well Al, I am by far from a single issue man but my shrink is confident that if I keep working with him I might start to feel like a normal person again in the next couple of years.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing I'm struggling to understand is why - despite the exit of the Trust's key man, the chairman, the chief exec and the club captain due to being rude to a fan - there's no sense that ANY of this has had ANY effect on making us believe people are sorting things out. And we shouldn't be feeling powerless since the club has had a huge shake-up this summer as a result of Trust/supporters action.

Of course, the role of Tis as manager is an issue, and so is our style of play under his management.

I'm listening to other views but - as somebody with strong views on how City are run - I'm quite relaxed about off-the-field stuff now. I think we just need to keep pressure on the Trust to encourage the club to focus on core football business and keeping things simple so they can share as much info as possible with us.

Incidentally, I still think running a football club is VERY VERY easy once you recognise that there's no pot of gold in corporate dealings for lower division football. And probably put stadium development on the back burner for now.

And I don't have any expectation that anything would change through bringing in very good people at chief exec ("we don't need a..." and chairman. Develop players, build a team, keep SJP safe and sell tickets - that'll do me for now.

Sorry the above was a bit rushed, but I'll keep watching the thread.

Last edited:

Edward

The thing I'm struggling to understand is why - despite the exit of the Trust's key man, the chairman, the chief exec and the club captain due to being rude to a fan - there's no sense that ANY of this has had ANY effect on making us believe people are sorting things out. And we shouldn't be feeling powerless since the club has had a huge shake-up this summer as a result of Trust/supporters action.

Of course, the role of Tis as manager is an issue, and so is our style of play under his management.

I'm listening to other views but - as somebody with strong views on how City are run - I'm quite relaxed about off-the-field stuff now. I think we just need to keep pressure on the Trust to encourage the club to focus on core football business and keeping things simple so they can share as much info as possible with us.

Incidentally, I still think running a football club is VERY VERY easy once you recognise that there's no pot of gold in corporate dealings for lower division football. And probably put stadium development on the back burner for now.

And I don't have any expectation that anything would change through bringing in very good people at chief exec ("we don't need a..." and chairman. Develop players, build a team, keep SJP safe and sell tickets - that'll do me for now.

Sorry the above was a bit rushed, but I'll keep watching the thread.
It is easy, certainly off field. Most of the core revenue is guaranteed, you stage the same event multiple times. A decent commercial team would pay for itself and generate enough cash to be competitive. On field is a bit more uncertain but you merely need to be amongst the top 90% of your peers so the odds are pretty appealing. The problem is the consequence of failure and that is exactly why you need good people and not the hobbyists and clowns who have populated the club for so long. You seem relaxed but it takes very little time to go bust if you have no safety net. And any reduction in projected revenues makes the business very vulnerable. The club is merely rid of the really thick ones.

motorservices

in the 'lg1' days every month i and many others were sent out flyers with up coming games, i use to post them up all over town (when i lived near Okehampton) that has stopped and i wonder how many fans would see that through tyhe week and turn up? we need to get it out and about that we have games coming up

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
er...sorry....deleted post

Last edited:

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
The club is so focused on everything else - they seem to have forgot that the normal fan just wants the team to do well - all the off the field stuff is just that.
My feelings exactly....I didn't start supporting the club because I was interested in what was going on in the community and boardroom the football comes second to them it appears!