• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Well that minute silence was a bit different

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

I am happy to help with the bottom spanking :)
Bingo!!

I hate to sound old but.. Why do young people have no common sense now? How can you be oblivious to 5000 loud people suddenly going so so quiet? How can you not notice?

Stuff like this completely baffles me. I think our lives are now so wrapped up in our own business, our own worries, our own busy-ness - We don't notice what's happening around us.

Was it the same as what happened at Nuneaton last year?
Yes it was. It was the same Gentleman that did it at Nuneaton last season. A very familiar face at both home and away games.
Last year I was stood beside him when he delivered it and witnessed the tears rolling down his face when he had finished. It clearly meant a lot to him. The guy is now 76 / 77 I believe and probably has real war time memories, unlike most on here.

Well done to him I say!
I was sat close by to the other guy who shouted out 'Shut Your Mouth' in the Flybe and could tell he was suitably embarrassed when his mates pointed out what was actually being said

Last edited:

Drew Peacock

Good on him. The guy in the flybe can go f*ck himself

Red the Paper

Banned
Well done to him I say!
I was sat close by to the other guy who shouted out 'Shut Your Mouth' in the Flybe and could tell he was suitably embarrassed when his mates pointed out what was actually being said
Suitably embarassed, he should have been ashamed. Even my 16 year old lad wanted to whack him. He would havebeen a long way down the line, after myself and a few others.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes it was. It was the same Gentleman that did it at Nuneaton last season. A very familiar face at both home and away games.
Last year I was stood beside him when he delivered it and witnessed the tears rolling down his face when he had finished. It clearly meant a lot to him. The guy is now 76 / 77 I believe and probably has real war time memories, unlike most on here.

Well done to him I say!
if I heard correctly his name is Chown.

Yes, it worked a treat at Nuneaton last year where his voice carried clearly across the whole ground.

Moving and appropriate I thought.

(but let's cut some slack to the guy who responded. It is clearly a mistake to ask for silence by shouting, but like many others he didn't hear properly and therefore he misinterpreted what was happening)

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the answer is to have a minute's silence, then get the bloke down on pitchside to deliver the poem with the aid of a microphone, all suitable announced on the tannoy beforehand, so people know what's going on!

rustle

The guy who recited it was standing in front of me on the BB. He did it from memory. Like many folk when he started I wondered what he was doing but it quickly became obvious and I thought it was very moving and appropriate.

The clapping was in support of what he had done and it was great to see so many youngsters approving and understanding what he was doing, as well as those of us who may well have lost family in one of the two big wars.

Good on you Tony.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the answer is to have a minute's silence, then get the bloke down on pitchside to deliver the poem with the aid of a microphone, all suitable announced on the tannoy beforehand, so people know what's going on!
Something like that would be much better. Quite appropriate to have the poem recited, but not during the minute's silence.

Nigel E

due to the tannoy, the only way it would be heard it in the Big Bank would be if this guy shouted it from the back.

Perhaps we should get him to announce the goal scorers as well. ;)

FAN-TATIC

Something like that would be much better. Quite appropriate to have the poem recited, but not during the minute's silence.
Am I correct in saying that the Last Post (lone trumpet player) is played either prior to or after the minute's silence and not during it.

Still happy to accept that the guy was being very respectful not disrespectful.