• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Well that minute silence was a bit different

ForeverECFC

Was this someone on the pitch with a microphone? Or someone in the stands reading the poem unexpectedly?
A Guy in the stands, all seemed very confusing at the time

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seemed a bit disrespectful to me. We were asked for a minute's silence, and regardless of what he said - it wasn't until he was a good few lines in that I realised what it was he was saying - is it really that difficult to keep your gob shut for sixty seconds?

Oh, and couldn't someone have gone and told the cheerleaders out the back of the Flybe to STFU instead of twittering away when everyone was silent?

Very poor show all round I thought.

plain capers

Fair enough AM, but a young fellow m'lad like yourself hasn't experienced service. Those of us who have, are more likely to be moved and impressed by the spontaneous recitation than by something that has been stage managed.
(I agree entirely about the noises off)

Last edited:

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seemed a bit disrespectful to me. We were asked for a minute's silence, and regardless of what he said - it wasn't until he was a good few lines in that I realised what it was he was saying - is it really that difficult to keep your gob shut for sixty seconds?

Oh, and couldn't someone have gone and told the cheerleaders out the back of the Flybe to STFU instead of twittering away when everyone was silent?

Was it the cheerleaders who were making all that noise then? Was wondering where it was coming from...

Citysupporter2099

From the OG it sounded like some mouthy git trying to ruin the silence. I thought the clapping was to shut him up. How wrong was I.

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
That fella has done the poem for a few years now - I don't mind it at all. I think it is respectful.

The girls out the back of the Doble, well I assume they didn't know, but it was poor.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was wondering if anyone on here was going to own up...

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster

I agree
I could hear the cheerleaders, someone should have let them know about the minutes silence

FAN-TATIC

From the OG it sounded like some mouthy git trying to ruin the silence. I thought the clapping was to shut him up. How wrong was I.

I was in the OG and initially I thought it was disrespectful, but as he continued I thought that there was something symbolic and quite ghostly hearing a lone voice reciting the poem. I am sure he meant well, so for me there was eventually no problem.

He made the minute's 'silence' a lot more memorable than it would've been and in a nice way. We won't forget it. And that's the whole idea, isn't it?

Good man.