• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moving the Sam Stubbs debate onto his thread and away from Alfie's, I would tend to think that despite being our best cenner half he won't move as easily as Alex Hartridge due to his injury history, therefore he may well stay longer particularly if we put in a good season this season, Ethan moves on from Chelsea freeing up some extra cash, enabling us to put better offers on the table for re-signing existing squad, and new players, as next year we have a crack at promotion/playoffs. FK what happens should we get promoted then though!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Moving the Sam Stubbs debate onto his thread and away from Alfie's, I would tend to think that despite being our best cenner half he won't move as easily as Alex Hartridge due to his injury history, therefore he may well stay longer particularly if we put in a good season this season, Ethan moves on from Chelsea freeing up some extra cash, enabling us to put better offers on the table for re-signing existing squad, and new players, as next year we have a crack at promotion/playoffs. FK what happens should we get promoted then though!
I agree with you re Stubbs. I wouldn't think he could pick and choose when he's been carrying a serious knee injury for at least 2 seasons. Having said that, there are plenty of clubs - even in the Nat League- who have more money than brains.
The reason he is at City is because he has that injury, so I think we have to live with that and hope that he can play 20-30 games in a fit condition, when I'm sure we will concede few goals.

Pobbop

At work on Tuesday I saw a pair of Trainers going to Exeter City for Sam Stubbs, this adds nothing to anything, but I'd hope we could make a conspiracy theory out of him never wearing football boots again.

IndoMike

At work on Tuesday I saw a pair of Trainers going to Exeter City for Sam Stubbs, this adds nothing to anything, but I'd hope we could make a conspiracy theory out of him never wearing football boots again.
Oh. Is there a conspiracy? Tell us more?

Grecianpasty

I see the situation with Stubbs as more of a game management scenario. He played on Tuesday with no issues from what I understand.

MT mentioned how well Cheick played yesterday, so Stubbs may have to bide his time to get back in the team unless an injury where to occur with Sweeney or Hartridge.

Our back three comprises of our most consistent performers for years. The fact that Stubbs is able to recoperate properly and Pond can gain valuable experience on loan at a good level just shows our strength in depth in that position.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see the situation with Stubbs as more of a game management scenario. He played on Tuesday with no issues from what I understand.

MT mentioned how well Cheick played yesterday, so Stubbs may have to bide his time to get back in the team unless an injury where to occur with Sweeney or Hartridge.

Our back three comprises of our most consistent performers for years. The fact that Stubbs is able to recoperate properly and Pond can gain valuable experience on loan at a good level just shows our strength in depth in that position.
Pierce has proved us wrong so many times that I'm reluctant to write him off but I do wonder if we may end up with Sam in the middle and Chieck on the right.

andrew p long

Pierce has proved us wrong so many times that I'm reluctant to write him off but I do wonder if we may end up with Sam in the middle and Chieck on the right.
When Sweenz went down injured after 10 minutes at Cheltenham Cheickh was sent to warm up ready to come on - so we very nearly again saw the Diabate at RCB with Stubbs at CB combination that you envisage.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe later in the season, but not right now. As we clearly plan to continue to play a back 3 and wing backs almost all the time, IMO the balance and understanding between Sweeney and Key (and also Hartridge and Sparkes) is crucial. Key's role means he is prone to being well upfield when the opponents play long balls, and Sweeney's positioning and awareness often covers for him. Diabate is probably not yet experienced enough to play that role.

IndoMike

Maybe later in the season, but not right now. As we clearly plan to continue to play a back 3 and wing backs almost all the time, IMO the balance and understanding between Sweeney and Key (and also Hartridge and Sparkes) is crucial. Key's role means he is prone to being well upfield when the opponents play long balls, and Sweeney's positioning and awareness often covers for him. Diabate is probably not yet experienced enough to play that role.
I agree, and I confess I thought Sweenz would have problems in Div 1. But so far he has been made of stern stuff, and I'm glad everything has worked out well for him and he got his just reward with promotion.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Sweenz went down injured after 10 minutes at Cheltenham Cheickh was sent to warm up ready to come on - so we very nearly again saw the Diabate at RCB with Stubbs at CB combination that you envisage.
It's a back 3 that I think has never conceded a goal; I believe the only time they all played together was Port Vale away which was a 0-0 draw.