• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watford aren't 'lower' division
But we are in a lower division to both Fleetwood and Watford. And that was the relevant point if I'm not mistaken.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
In all likelihood, I make you right, but I don’t think it’s entirely inconceivable Sam might sign a new contract.

As you say, he’ll be more marketable as a free agent. However, any recurrence of his injury and, with his contract coming to an end, he mightn’t be in a great place.

In addition, City have a reputation for not standing in the way of players having an opportunity to move onwards and upwards and, even if Stubbs were to sign a new contract, I’m not sure that would price him out of the range of the calibre of club one would imagine he’d be looking to move to.

Here’s hoping!
... and there is also the possibility of him agreeing to sign a new contract on condition there is a realistic release clause...as per Harris' post on the previous page..

andrew p long

somewhat disconcerting that he missed yesterday (Rochdale at SJP) because of a recurrence of the 'fluid on the knee' symptom which proved troublesome for so long.

Fingers crossed that its only a blip.

andrew p long

somewhat disconcerting that he missed yesterday (Rochdale at SJP) because of a recurrence of the 'fluid on the knee' symptom which proved troublesome for so long.

Fingers crossed that its only a blip.
and also disconcerting that - according to other threads - he wasn't training outside on grass with the others on return at the start of pre-season.

Time to investigate the Paul McGrath option - legend of a player but who never trained because of dodgy knees! Could Stubbs do the same?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be nice to have an update on Stubbs if he is injured. Without him, and 1 or 2 injuries or suspensions to other defenders we'd be looking really thin at the back. He's so crucial to how we do this season.

TSW1389

I imagine Stubbs will have a different pre season routine to the others and mayeb doing most of his CV work on a bike or another low impact machine. The knee is probably going to managed for rest of his career, silly to risk any inflammation by running on hard ground in pre season if you can get same CV work done in the gym.

wiveygrecian

Did he look match fit today and ready for next week?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
No

Boyo

He was a shadow of his best self today. Off the pace and not dominant at all.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was a shadow of his best self today. Off the pace and not dominant at all.
He's nowhere near being fit. September at least before he is selectable.