• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC 2022 Yay or "Meh"

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The first tournament I watched was 1978 in Argentina. Always get excited about the World Cup, but this is the least excited I’ve ever been. Ignoring the politics, it’s such a ridiculous place to hold it. Tiny country, only 1 city etc etc. I’m still going to watch some of it, but I’m not expecting much by way of atmosphere and I suspect it will not live long in the memory. I hope FIFA learn from it and don’t line up Micronesia or some such for a future one

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The first tournament I watched was 1978 in Argentina. Always get excited about the World Cup, but this is the least excited I’ve ever been. Ignoring the politics, it’s such a ridiculous place to hold it. Tiny country, only 1 city etc etc. I’m still going to watch some of it, but I’m not expecting much by way of atmosphere and I suspect it will not live long in the memory. I hope FIFA learn from it and don’t line up Micronesia or some such for a future one
This is the least excited i have ever been about the world cup and i have been watching since 1998. Just having it in winter feels wrong in itself and i agree with everything you say about it.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, that'll be me out.

But at least I have principles, unlike the BBC presenters.

Cmon Iran!! Lolz
Sorry for your loss.

Grecian2K

Sorry for your loss.
Shame on you Hermy.
You forgot to add the "lolz".

tavyred

The stadiums look half empty!
Sh1te World Cup!! 😡

Grecian2K

Cue "Memphis" to suggest that it should have been moved to Shandy Park!

Colesman Ballz

Sh1te World Cup!! 😡
Lots of fans got "locked out" when the e-ticketing system crashed and they were unable to access their expensively priced tickets. Utter shambles !
Time to revert to good old fashioned "pay on the gate" ? :unsure:

Phil Sayers

The first tournament I watched was 1978 in Argentina.
Argentina under the junta at the time of the dirty war had a far, far worse human rights record than Qatar does now but they still got (and won IIRC) the tournament then. This isn't in any way to defend Qatar as their laws are an abomination but worth noting that there was no furore about homosexuality being illegal the last time that was the case at a WC venue (clearly the case rather; Russia four years ago is a debatable one). That was the 1994 WC when games were played in Texas.

Mr Jinx

Sorry for your loss.
Bah, Did England win?

You seem exceedingly up to speed with things having said it was an outright Nay from you. But that was no doubt just another virtue signal. lolz

Mr Jinx

Sh1te World Cup!! 😡
That hasn't stopped them diddling the figures. Apparently, there we 41,721 attending the Holland game, which is 1K over capacity, but then I heard it was half empty.

:eek: