• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vegans v Grecians - Match Day Thread (FGR vs ECFC)

Legohead

Banned
The highlights must have been really boring.
(rofl)

No they were very pleasing to watch. Just that i did notice both ends had home fans in and i'm sure a mate who has been who supports another club said he was behind the goal. I just wondered if they'd changed the ends just for this one game given nearly 900 visiting fans went? Maybe that end doesn't hold that many. Not sure. Just wondered really.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sure Stockley will do everything he can to get in the team. He's on a 3 yr contract apparently and has been here 10 days. The fact that he isn't automatically walking into the team will be an extra motivating factor.

Red faced

I'd say that Stockley pretty much did what he was told to do when he came on...He'd be awkward to defend against so he was prob told to hold the ball up as much as possible so we can see out the win. which I thought City did pretty well. By this stage he was the only forward outnumbered against a defence that were trying to get the ball back up as quickly as they could - A second goal and the comeback would have been on. Hard to say if he's off the pace or not - Maybe best to judge when he's getting more pitch time and City are in full flow & pressing forward.

PeteUSA

I'm very pleased that following my suggestion, Tisdale has started the last two games with Reid playing, and not a 'chase the game' sub. The power of exeweb! (y)

IndoMike

One of my favorite players, but I thought Troy Brown looked a bit sluggish on one or two occasions judging only from the video.

fred binneys head

Just seen the highlights over again: If nobody minds me saying: Not over the moon re: Pym for their goal.......keeper is definitely not a concern for us this season.
I agree - his positioning was also poor when FGR hit the post.

Still, a fantastic win - well done Tis and the boys - I'm enjoying the fact that saying that is getting boring.

Last edited:

flack attack

First time that I've been in the home end for a City match and an interesting alternative perspective. Got chatting to a FGR season ticket holder who said that a reasonable number of neutrals had started attending their games (which I think he assumed we were as we retained a respectful silence when Sweeney scored). He thought that the consensus amongst home fans was that the north stand should be generally be given over to away fans now that they're in the league, given the additional income that it would bring. Reason that it hasn't happened being a relatively small handful of season ticket holders who want that to remain for home fans.

Reasonable degree of negativity from the home support who, in spite of having had a decent start at home (yesterday excepted), were fairly down on Mark Cooper. Particularly cause for concern was that he always picks his son, Charlie, in centre-mid and never takes him off...we both arched our eyebrow at this comment being of an age to remember the early 90s at City. Significant surprise/applause when Cooper was then subbed off in the second half. Further deja vu when home support were constantly barracking their keeper for looking to play the ball out short in the defence and particularly after they got themselves in a pickle early doors from floating it across their own penalty area. Was noticeable that, bar Doidge, they weren't a tall team beyond the defence and Mullings when he came on, which I guess explains that approach.

I thought the pitch was absolutely superb and that we played some nice stuff at times. Don't think the lack of possession was any cause for concern. Home support was, particularly in the first half, getting agitated about the sideways passing in possession as we were stifling them well (further deja vu). Only negative from my perspective was the fact that we allowed three one-on-ones. Didn't have a clear view of the Doidge chance in the first half, but of course he hit the post from his second half chance and Mullings finished his opportunity. With those exceptions, I thought that we defended well with Holmes notably throwing himself in front of shots and crosses a couple of times. From Taylor's interview after the Cheltenham match, it didn't take much to read between the lines that he's known (rightly) for tracking back and Holmes isn't, so good to see Holmes offering the additional protection to his full-back, which isn't really a natural part of his game, whilst remaining an attacking threat.

Agree with comments that way to early to criticise Stockley. He was superb for us first time round and is currently lacking match fitness. Not that I thought he did badly when he came on today, but coming on for an away team that's winning the game isn't exactly an opportunity to showcase your skills unless you're very fleet of foot. I'd be very surprised if we didn't end up selling him in due course for more than we received. It's a rare occasion where we've been able to sign a player with proven pedigree.

Overall I think that, even without Wheeler/Watkins, we look a side ideally suited to winning away from home.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of my favorite players, but I thought Troy Brown looked a bit sluggish on one or two occasions judging only from the video.
The centre backs were split down the middle on three occasions when they really shouldn't have been. This was the first game I've seen on the stream where they weren't incredible, and for once JMT wasn't a MOM candidate. I know some people criticised them after the Swindon game but I thought they coped very well with a very potent attacking team that day. Hopefully they'll be back up to their level on Tuesday.

There appeared to be a barney after we conceded between JMT and one of our midfielders who I think had called them into question. The camera angle was so low yesterday that it was difficult to tell properly who it was and if it was anything at all in fact.

Last edited:

ECFC Music

I agree - his positioning was also poor when FGR hit the post.

Still, a fantastic win - well done Tis and the boys - I'm enjoying the fact that saying that is getting boring.
And it's getting boring with criticism of Pym. What with you re hitting the post and now Pete saying our goalie's ok after a couple of games ago saying we need a new goalie. What the hell is he supposed to do - you are nit picking.

IndoMike

The centre backs were split down the middle on three occasions when they really shouldn't have been. This was the first game I've seen on the stream where they weren't incredible, and for once JMT wasn't a MOM candidate. I know some people criticised them after the Swindon game but I thought they coped very well with a very potent attacking team that day. Hopefully they'll be back up to their level on Tuesday.

There appeared to be a barney after we conceded between JMT and one of our midfielders who I think had called them into question. The camera angle was so low yesterday that it was difficult to tell properly who it was and if it was anything at all in fact.
I might be wrong but when their striker broke thru on the right side of the penalty and blasted at Pym (who saved) it seemed to me that Troy was only trotting towards the danger man. It surprised me. Although the striker didn't score it looked like JMT was having a bit of a go at Troy for not doing something. Is that your interpretation?