• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vegans v Grecians - Match Day Thread (FGR vs ECFC)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Had a look at the youtube highlights and the thing I was talking about is after their goal. Lloyd James has a go at JMT about the centre backs positioning - it's Troy who loses his man but he seems uncertain whether to go towards the ball or mark the striker who gets behind the defence way too easily - and then JMT gives James a mouthful back presumably referring to his own marking earlier judging by the pointing.
Oh, OK. What about my point about Brown in the other incident? It's on the tape.

PeteUSA

Had a look at the youtube highlights and the thing I was talking about is after their goal. Lloyd James has a go at JMT about the centre backs positioning - it's Troy who loses his man but he seems uncertain whether to go towards the ball or mark the striker who gets behind the defence way too easily - and then JMT gives James a mouthful back presumably referring to his own marking earlier judging by the pointing.
There was certainly enough heated finger pointing and tongue wagging amongst those defenders over who was to blame for Forest Greens goal. Without a doubt their scorer got clean through on goal far too easily. Pym was as vocal as the others regarding where the fault lay. In truth, the outfield defenders have to shoulder a huge amount of responsibility; that said, Pym should have done a whole lot better with that shot. His decision making and timing when coming off his line remain his weak point. He has to come out all of the way with conviction, not stop short and let the attacker shoot at a virtually open goal. He's improved 100% this season, and seems competant dealing with anything. He's certainly undisputed number one. He just has to keep pecking away at decision making and timing. Only he can do that; Gwinnett cant do a lot for him in that department.

eurogrecian

The goal was almost identical to the one where they hit the post: James not tight enough in midfield and a centre back then ball-watching/tempted to advance when their midfielder comes forward with the ball. For me, the source of the problem lies in midfield there.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The goal was almost identical to the one where they hit the post: James not tight enough in midfield and a centre back then ball-watching/tempted to advance when their midfielder comes forward with the ball. For me, the source of the problem lies in midfield there.
Hmm not sure James can be singled out as the man responsible from the midfield but broadly speaking I agree, this is why we have conceded so few goals at home (like none, now I think about it - edit!), because the defensive mids are very good at denying space to the opposing midfield, making the centre backs' jobs a lot easier. Good that this happened in a game where we won, it will give the team time to work out how to stop it happening again.

Last edited:

iscalad

andrew p long

This is all very impressive especially considering the starting 11 were all here last season and no Ollie or Wheeler
fabulous stat. I think the position remains that the starting eleven for all 6 of our league games so far consisted entirely of players who were here last season. And indeed were here when we were bottom of the table last November. Shows that building a team is a longer process than signing 12 players each summer or sacking a manager because he's lost the first four games after being appointed.

James Whitmore

Indeed.

As many will have no doubt seen before, Alex Ferguson said when lecturing on management at Harvard University ... "I've always felt it's impossible to field a great football team if you don't have a great organisation. Most owners and managers mess around with team selection without any underlying purpose. They arrange everything back to front and are too impatient for quick results. Before you can consistently field a great team, you have to build a great organisation, and all the elements have to be assembled properly."

Not that many fans or owners would agree with him.

fred binneys head

Paul Tisdale would.