• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

VAR Yay or Nay ?

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was very much a yay but the past couple of weeks, where we saw Liverpool players diving for penalties, has got me thinking twice.

We've now got players gaming the system and that needs to be weeded out and stopped else we'll see a lot more of it.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The FA cup game between Sunderland and Newcastle was brilliant to watch without VAR.

Proper tackles , proper contact, people having a dig at each other and people not scared to show a bit or passion or emotion without the worry of every single decision being checked or monitored.

It also helps massively with the atmosphere in the ground as well because it gets people off their seats and the game flows so much better.

Proper throwback game

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Said for a long time, VAR should be about goal line and off side. Do away with Stockley Park, and make anything else like the nfl challenge system. That way the only ref making a decision is on the pitch.

Spoonz Red E

Said for a long time, VAR should be about goal line and off side. Do away with Stockley Park, and make anything else like the nfl challenge system. That way the only ref making a decision is on the pitch.
Particularly as the way AI is developing may mean positional decisions could be determined in real time.
It's the delay and second guessing that I find frustrating.

Stelios

Managers could also help by not blaming referees for their own shortcomings and not encouraging (or turning a blind eye) to their own players cheating and diving………

I like the idea of a ‘backstop’ ie having a word in the ref’s ear if he sends off the wrong player or misses an off the ball elbow because his back was turned but the current model just feels wrong. Football was not broken and didn’t need fixing

grecIAN Harris

The FA cup game between Sunderland and Newcastle was brilliant to watch without VAR.

Proper tackles , proper contact, people having a dig at each other and people not scared to show a bit or passion or emotion without the worry of every single decision being checked or monitored.

It also helps massively with the atmosphere in the ground as well because it gets people off their seats and the game flows so much better.

Proper throwback game
Did you watch Bristol City and West Ham last night? Similar but without the obvious rivalry.

CREDYGRECIAN

Did you watch Bristol City and West Ham last night? Similar but without the obvious rivalry.
yeah some tackles….i actually thought the Bristol city lad was lucky that was a bit naughty when he caught him late

Alistair20000

yeah some tackles….i actually thought the Bristol city lad was lucky that was a bit naughty when he caught him late
Was that the one on Benrahma who lashed out in retaliation and received his marching orders ?

CREDYGRECIAN

Was that the one on Benrahma who lashed out in retaliation and received his marching orders ?
no the tackle which he slid in and caught him above the ankle shin high that was naughty…..the retaliation was also risky….

with VAR in play both are red.

Alistair20000

no the tackle which he slid in and caught him above the ankle shin high that was naughty…..the retaliation was also risky….

with VAR in play both are red.
Ah yes and I agree that both would probably have been red with VAR