• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the subject of new grounds(having any ‘soul’ ) my favourites are Huddersfield & MK Dons,many hate Stadium MK purely because of the history of the teams inception into the FL.It is a fantastic stadium.
Huddersfield’s is great because it was built only about 500m from the former Leeds Rd ground & it’s NOT all enclosed...

Love it that SJP revamped will have a few gaps,adds to the quirkyness of the ground.
The thing that gives ground character is that they have developed over time. That is the problem with the new build approach. The one saving grace at Oxford, when they finally finish it, is that there will be some character, if not much.

We replaced two parts in the 90“s and the rest now. One of the new stands is older and coming from Barnet. No two parts of the ground are going to look the same. Its going to have character whether the gap is filled or not.

We‘re going to be OK.

Andy Holloway

It's a classic stand! I loved The Dell. Went a couple of times when I was a kid. The atmosphere was enhanced by building that rather than having a gap. The whole ground was much preferable (to me) than St Mary's, which I've also been too... lacks any soul.
What about 'the ghost?'

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
What about 'the ghost?'
Oooooo I love ghost talk. Please continue

Andy Holloway

Oooooo I love ghost talk. Please continue
When St Mary's first opened there were two 'rumours' going around S'ton,. The first was that a group of Pompey fans - i think they were in the same Division at the time - had 'broken' into St Mary's and planted 'negative crystals' or something similar in the goals.
The second was that St Mary's was haunted by a ghost of some former worker at the Gas Works, that had been on the site previously, who had committed suicide in extraordinary circumstances.
Neither was ever 'proved' but, with S'ton loosing several of the first games they played at St Mary's, including one i think against Pompey, plus the 'scandal' of Harry Redknap swapping allegiances, the rumours perpetuated for a while.

Grecian Max

Max, not having a go or owt, but do any modern stadiums have any soul for you? It’s something you seem to mention every time you mention a new ground. As I say, not trying to be funny, just interested. You mentioned Wembley but I have to say the noise when Coventry scored was mightily impressive and had we matched their numbers I’m sure the atmosphere would have been more like what you hope for.
N.B - these are observations based on how the grounds/stadium make me feel, rather than on hard facts. It is possible to debate on these terms too!

When I say soul, it's a range of emotions that I can't necessarily put my finger on. Probably interesting architecture, hints of the past, some rattly bits, facilities that are good but not over-sheened. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm on about.

Personally prefer grounds that are extensions on top of what was already there, you tend to get a more unique look and often retain more atmosphere than the bowl stadiums. Villa Park has it, Old Trafford to a certain extent. Just personal preference really. Doncaster, Argyle (bar one side), Darlington’s old white elephant, Shrewsbury, then the smaller ones like Burton, FGR, etc all feel very samey. I appreciate they’ve progressed their facilities but the lack of imagination in the lower leagues is shame. Budgets obviously have an effect.

St Mary’s is essentially a bigger version of Doncaster’s, it’s fine, it’s suits a purpose. But it has an echo, slightly emotionless vibe to the whole place. The Dell felt more in tune with the club, to me.

Cov were impressive, no doubt. But for me, the shallow views, over corporate feel about Wembley doesn't do it - for me. View from the posh seats was fantastic, no doubt about that.

I like that we’re staying at SJP and have a wonky stadium each stand with it’s own feel.

IndoMike

When St Mary's first opened there were two 'rumours' going around S'ton,. The first was that a group of Pompey fans - i think they were in the same Division at the time - had 'broken' into St Mary's and planted 'negative crystals' or something similar in the goals.
The second was that St Mary's was haunted by a ghost of some former worker at the Gas Works, that had been on the site previously, who had committed suicide in extraordinary circumstances.
Neither was ever 'proved' but, with S'ton loosing several of the first games they played at St Mary's, including one i think against Pompey, plus the 'scandal' of Harry Redknap swapping allegiances, the rumours perpetuated for a while.
Cool. I have personal ghost experiences, but of course people tend to think it's a load of bs.

Temporarily Exiled

Echoing what others have said here, it'll be a very sad day if we ever have to leave SJP.

Can't wait to see the progress in August.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

Echoing what others have said here, it'll be a very sad day if we ever have to leave SJP.

Can't wait to see the progress in August.
Stay with this thread and you'll get fairly up to date photos, my next ones will be on Thursday pm.

Stelios

The thought of watching ECFC in a modern windswept out-of-town soulless identikit stadium really depresses me.

I've read a few blogs of people who've done 'the 92' and they all lament the lost city centre grounds and atmospheres of the lower leagues.

http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/03/colchester-united-layer-road-ground-no.html

I still miss the bank of grass and flowers in front of the Cowshed........

IndoMike

The thought of watching ECFC in a modern windswept out-of-town soulless identikit stadium really depresses me.

I've read a few blogs of people who've done 'the 92' and they all lament the lost city centre grounds and atmospheres of the lower leagues.

http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/03/colchester-united-layer-road-ground-no.html

I still miss the bank of grass and flowers in front of the Cowshed........
Not just flowers : primroses !!