• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under appreciated City Players

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mark Gavin was almost exactly the opposite, often did things when he got in position, but it was rare he was, between them they'd have been a great player.
Mark Gavin refused to give me his shirt when I was the first City fan on the pitch after 'that' Northampton game when we nearly went out of the league / went bust. In my eyes, he immediately went from a decent winger on his day to an utter ****. I'd sprinted more after the final whistle than that workshy fcuk did all game, yet he still wouldn't give me his shirt. Tosser.

gilbertshoot

Storer totally lost his finishing ability after Bosnich made a crucial save in a match against Villa.

Always a willing runner though, and he was genuinely involved in a huge percentage of goals despite squandering plenty of chances. I like a willing runner me, so I liked him. Mark Gavin was almost exactly the opposite, often did things when he got in position, but it was rare he was, between them they'd have been a great player.
Like many frustrating wingers I can remember Storer could run like a gazelle but would occasionally forget to take the ball with him. Saw him at the Double Locks one May Day. Interesting dress sense - was channelling his inner New York 70s pimp.

Mr Jinx

If Sheld's attitude to his fitness matched his ability he would have had a very good league career.

Even though we missed out on the playoff's it was an enjoyable season or so. I don't think the bond between team and fans has ever been any better than at that time. Led of course by Eamo.
Yes, he was often puzzling. He'd have a blinding game, then a slew of duffers. Not sure sure it was fitness so much as something in his head. On his day, he had it all. I see he was defined as a forward, but he didn't usually play in that all out striking role iirc.

And perhaps that was part of the problem. His goal return for a striker was relatively poor (13 from 80 appearances, but I'm sure a lot of those would've been as a sub).

Regardless, after City he never set the world alight anywhere else and quickly slipped down the footballing ladder.

Anyway, here's another name for you: Tony Scully

Rosencrantz

Yes, he was often puzzling. He'd have a blinding game, then a slew of duffers. Not sure sure it was fitness so much as something in his head. On his day, he had it all. I see he was defined as a forward, but he didn't usually play in that all out striking role iirc.

And perhaps that was part of the problem. His goal return for a striker was relatively poor (13 from 80 appearances, but I'm sure a lot of those would've been as a sub).

Regardless, after City he never set the world alight anywhere else and quickly slipped down the footballing ladder.

Anyway, here's another name for you: Tony Scully
Sheld's was a winger not a forward which makes his goal record reasonable.

As for Scully, I'm not sure a three month loan player, no matter how decent, has enough time to be under appreciated ;)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
C
Sheld's was a winger not a forward which makes his goal record reasonable.

As for Scully, I'm not sure a three month loan player, no matter how decent, has enough time to be under appreciated ;)
And at the time I think he was appreciated anyway.

I always thought Chris Fry was underappreciated by many.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another two from my Paul Batty days are ex Dawlish Town player Steve Harrower who joined in 1983, signed by Gerry Francis and stayed to win the championship in 1990 then move onto Yeovil, Exeter born player, son of a former player, played well over 150 times for the club giving solid performances throughout until later on in his city career when he suffered with his back.

The other player who you rarely hear of nowadays was a former Gull, who we signed from York City, for what is a rarity a fee, Tom Kelly a solid left back liking to go forward, lasted three seasons with us before re-signing for the Gulls.

Colesman Ballz

Another two from my Paul Batty days are ex Dawlish Town player Steve Harrower who joined in 1983, signed by Gerry Francis and stayed to win the championship in 1990 then move onto Yeovil, Exeter born player, son of a former player, played well over 150 times for the club giving solid performances throughout until later on in his city career when he suffered with his back.

The other player who you rarely hear of nowadays was a former Gull, who we signed from York City, for what is a rarity a fee, Tom Kelly a solid left back liking to go forward, lasted three seasons with us before re-signing for the Gulls.
Tom Kelly continued playing for local non league sides for a good number of years. The latest news I can find was for 2009/10 when he was player manager for Bovey Tracey and still living in Torquay.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tom would put to bed all the talk of can't get players to come down here, a Scot started his football league career at Hartlepool and then his first move, wham bang Torquay, and you trying telling that to players today!

Grecian2K

I would tentatively add the sometimes under-rated Graham Parker to the honourable roll call here!

Pobbop

Both Batty and Harrower won POTY didn't they?

Edit, they did, so did Ray pratt as well, mentioned here too, seemed to be appreciated in those seasons.

Last edited: