• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here's something to ponder for the community immunity herding zealots and 'it's just the flu' disciples.

Remember the Diamond Princess, back in Feb ? 48 active cases still, 4 critical/serious. Sometimes this bugger just won't let go. :(
Part of the "Long Covid" That doctors are now seeing and learning about in some patients, Hope they all recover. It's like Derek Draper, Kate Garraway's husband, He's was in ICU for over 80 days and is still in hospital recovering very slowly, They're not even sure if he'll make a full one.

Mr Jinx

Here's something to ponder for the community immunity herding zealots and 'it's just the flu' disciples.

Remember the Diamond Princess, back in Feb ? 48 active cases still, 4 critical/serious. Sometimes this bugger just won't let go. :(
Can't speak for the Diamond Princess, but cases like Kate Garraway's husband, Derek Draper, really are outliers and we really shouldn't be halting the entire country because of them.

DB9

Can't speak for the Diamond Princess, but cases like Kate Garraway's husband, Derek Draper, really are outliers and we really shouldn't be halting the entire country because of them.
That is why i said "Some" There are always extremes in illness, Flu in its real power, Not like when we have a bad cold we call it flu, Can kill and leave people with debilitating after affects. With this virus at the beginning no one said about the long term effects on some that got it badly, The doctors now are just seeing for a tiny minority that it can be life changing.

Oldsmobile-88

Pleasing to see lower positive tests in the last couple of days.
That can’t be down to the measures that have been just introduced. ?

Knocks the graph we were all shown last week at the briefing out a little.

Alistair20000

Pleasing to see lower positive tests in the last couple of days.

Knocks the graph we were all shown last week at the briefing out a little.
Too little lag time for this to be attributable to the new measures I think.

Mr Jinx

Why not? That's what happened in Belgium. There was at least some kind of method in the madness.

<...eagerly awaits today's figures...>

elginCity

An effective and efficient test/trace system coupled with trust, and compliance, in consistent government messaging would not necessitate shutting down the entire country, virus outbreaks could be managed. As mentioned before, the UK also has the huge advantage of geographic isolation, an advantage Germany doesn't have - the Government should take back control of its borders.

Mr Jinx

the Government should take back control of its borders.
Can't argue with you on that one. I don't think flights/boats/tunnels to/from anywhere were stopped in the UK at any time. I don't know why; perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I have a friend who lives in Thailand but came back to visit the UK in April when things started to kick off. He can't get back to Thailand for love nor money and it's not the UK that's blocking him. By the sounds of it, Thailand are letting in around 100 odd foreigners into the country but only after some severe and intense vetting. Would be good to see us doing something similar. Heck, we let in 100 odd a day in dinghies via Kent, unvetted/unchecked, regardless.

elginCity

Can't argue with you on that one. I don't think flights/boats/tunnels to/from anywhere were stopped in the UK at any time. I don't know why; perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Covert community immunity opportunity.

Alistair20000

An effective and efficient test/trace system coupled with trust, and compliance, in consistent government messaging would not necessitate shutting down the entire country, virus outbreaks could be managed. As mentioned before, the UK also has the huge advantage of geographic isolation, an advantage Germany doesn't have - the Government should take back control of its borders.
So no lorries, planes and ships with goods in ?