• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bring John Major out of retirement...😁
Not the worst call TBH. As Paddy Ashdown said of him: fundamentally an honest and decent man. (As far as politicians go :) My addition)

Teaser with a bit more charisma :ROFLMAO:

I think he would at least think before pressing the panic button and stop blathering lots of pious hope mixed with utter rubbish.

DB9

So are going to blame "Lazy Workers" again now our PM has told office workers to WFH if they can? Only a few weeks ago they were told to get back to the office so the local sandwich shop/pub will still have a business. As i walk past the railway station car park most days at Southampton Parkway it has been virtually empty since March, Just like the multi-story one next door, Also for the railway station, Empty, In normal times they would be both full.

IndoMike

So are going to blame "Lazy Workers" again now our PM has told office workers to WFH if they can? Only a few weeks ago they were told to get back to the office so the local sandwich shop/pub will still have a business. As i walk past the railway station car park most days at Southampton Parkway it has been virtually empty since March, Just like the multi-story one next door, Also for the railway station, Empty, In normal times they would be both full.
Who are you ranting at here, DB?

elginCity

Surely there must a Tory politician that the nation trusts who could speak unto the people tonight?
CV Successful (to date) countries such as Germany and Taiwan state trust in government as the primary reason for said success. Whether the scientific approach by the scientist Merkel or the MERS hardened Taiwanese excellent preparedness, fast acting and proactive approach, their people totally trust and support the leadership.

Cummings ensured Trust was totally shot for this bunch of lying chancers, not that too many beyond the blinkered ever had much anyway. There you go, and here we are.

DB9

Who are you ranting at here, DB?
People who earlier thought that WFH was the workers idea and they didn't want to go back to the office, My argument is that they were told to work from home and were told to return by their bosses when considered safe to do so, Some on here think that workers were saying no thanks I'll stay at home, which is not true.

Alistair20000

So what is your view of the latest “measures” Elgers ?

IndoMike

In the UK we suffer from "Exceptionalism".
We are a very good country in many ways but we aren't world- beaters and need to be intelligent and humble enough to learn from other countries.
Taiwan has a population of 20m and IINM has suffered 7 (seven) deaths from Covid. It is true that they learnt from their experience with SARS and were ready for the next attack Bur they were ready based on info and experience that would and should have been studied and prepared for 2 years ago. Remember the 2017 report which expressed a grave warning about our lack of preparedness for such a virus as covid. The Tory Govt didn't even read it, or at least they didn't act on it

IndoMike

Surely there must a Tory politician that the nation trusts who could speak unto the people tonight? There is a clear message that needs to be got across, and there is no one to deliver it.

I"m surprised Tavers and Jinxy haven't been hired by the Govt to guide the nation through this crisis. 😉

Alistair20000

I"m surprised Tavers and Jinxy haven't been hired by the Govt to guide the nation through this crisis. 😉
Nah, those two naughty Tories voted Labour in 2017

Rosencrantz

CV Successful (to date) countries such as Germany and Taiwan state trust in government as the primary reason for said success. Whether the scientific approach by the scientist Merkel or the MERS hardened Taiwanese excellent preparedness, fast acting and proactive approach, their people totally trust and support the leadership.

Cummings ensured Trust was totally shot for this bunch of lying chancers, not that too many beyond the blinkered ever had much anyway. There you go, and here we are.
Compliance is the overriding key. The countries you state and even Sweden with a different course, although still with social distancing and limited measures, have good compliance. We had, at the start, very good compliance. You are always going to have a minority who won't.

Although it is ultimately down to the individual, the government have lost that sense of compliance and confidence with the public. The majority will still comply, but not in the same numbers. There are a number of reasons for this, Cummings-gate, inconsistent messages, overblown rhetoric, do as we say not as we do, sheer competency with test and trace, an impending divergence of views within the Tory Party etc.

Apart from masks and a crackdown on law, which remains to be seen how heavy, we seem to be in a position similar to Sweden's mild lockdown. But will the public have the same confidence and compliance in the government?