• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
FOG IN CHANNEL. EUROPE CUT OFF!

Farage will be in the Blazing Donkey.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
See any dinghies?
There will be a few for sale from HM Coastguard soon,over stocked apparently 😁😎

Oldsmobile-88

I was having a look around the Pier Head & Albert Dock areas of Liverpool yesterday.Both areas were very quiet.
On previous visits the place was teaming with people,of course there are no foreign tourists about at the moment.
The area must be losing a fortune,everything is open except for the Museums & Exhibitions(which are free anyway)

Went to Southport today & that was the complete opposite thank goodness.A lot people about on the Pier & Pleasure land having a good time.

IndoMike

Total deaths for w/e 31st July under the 5yr average, for the 7th week running.

5 times as many people died of 'summer flu' (928) than from Covid (193) and summer flu deaths themselves are half those of normal.
2% of the 8,946 weekly deaths are Covid related

Yet the country remains in self-imposed hibernation, enjoying the longest summer holiday in history, with millions being paid and eating out courtesy of our children and grand-children

Maybe we should start publishing deaths from cancer, heart attacks, on the roads and by drowning by day as well - for context like.
Is the correct answer but the government was also reacting to U.K. public opinion which was very much in favour of the Lockdown. It would have taken a very brave Cabinet to ignore that public opinion. But that is what leadership entails. At no stage has the damage caused by Lockdown been spelled out fully and often enough. All the focus has been on scaring us that millions might die of Covid, the health service would be swamped etc.
I thought you said the Govt followed the scientists. Now you're saying the Govt followed public opinion. Next they'll be following the 3.30 at Goodwood. Make your mind up.
Very rich blaming the public. The public were instructed to lock down - many of whom still preferred to go to the beach.

IndoMike

Anyway. Watch out you guys.I hear two dinghies came up the Exe and the occupants popped into the Prospect for a couple of pints before moving on. Poor bugg*rs got arrested before the police realized they were a bunch of locals from Exminster having a day out.
Paranoia reigns...😆

IndoMike

.Sad to see the UK still replete with
"Disgusted from Surbiton" s. Don't know if to laugh or cry. Those halcyon days of the Empire were over 70 years ago, chaps.
Fortunately the new generation is far more
broad-minded and don't get all fretty about trivial matters. .😄

IndoMike

As Bob Dylan wrote and sang :

"Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'".

In other words :get out of the way - you're blocking progress 👌👌👌

Red Devon

Drive - through flu vaccination centres now being considered by the government in a bid to double this winters uptake.

tavyred

Interesting conundrum for countries like NZ who thus far have handled the pandemic really well. Saint Jacinda has locked down Auckland again off the back of very low (by UK standards) infection rates, I’m not sure the NZ economy can handle this sort of action every time there’s a small spike in infections. I guess we’re seeing the potential downside of managing infections coupled with zero herd immunity.

IndoMike

Interesting conundrum for countries like NZ who thus far have handled the pandemic really well. Saint Jacinda has locked down Auckland again off the back of very low (by UK standards) infection rates, I’m not sure the NZ economy can handle this sort of action every time there’s a small spike in infections. I guess we’re seeing the potential downside of managing infections coupled with zero herd immunity.
Tavers,

I want to correct a comment I made a few minutes ago. You said recession should end in Q3 and I said I hope so but not sure if it will. But technically you're correct, : the figures should improve in Q3 - can't be any worse. than Q2. What is true is that the effects of the recession : unemployed : homeless will.be more strongly felt.