• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
:cool: (y)

tavyred

Sorry this should have read inflation fell by less than expected

You gave an extensive list on which the public will quite rightly judge the Tories on. On inflation he’ll possibly get judged on it being around 11% when he took over and it now being back to normal levels at circa 2%. There is an argument however that says just as the Tories can’t be blamed for recent the high inflation they conversely cannot be congratulated for it coming down.

tavyred

Tavers and Mr J, why are you after Farage? If he rolls up, he'll take a chance on a decent punt. Reform will add a percentage point or two in the polls and split the rw vote. Ultimately, pushing the conservatives to the centre and reform closer to the centre.

All for a pile of votes and 1 or 2 seats in the big house
Can’t speak for Jinxy but I want Farage on the scene because he drags the Tories to the right wing places I want them to be as a social conservative.
This transcends unfortunately the result of the next GE as I fear we may have to suffer at least one term of yet more stupefying centrism of a Starmer administration.

DB9

Little snippet on the radio just now, Reporter asking people for their views on the election, One woman says "Won't bother, Never voted, Never will, Doesn't affect me!" 🙄

Mr Jinx

Rumour doing the rounds that the government have already been given the nod that the Rwanda flights will not happen and that Sunak couldn’t wait after a summer of maybe record channel crossings and have an autumn/winter GE.
If Rwanda flights won't happen, then the Tories are definitely toast. There was some thinking that they will start happening the week of the election, therefore giving him a much needed fillip.

Mr Jinx

Tavers and Mr J, why are you after Farage? If he rolls up, he'll take a chance on a decent punt. Reform will add a percentage point or two in the polls and split the rw vote. Ultimately, pushing the conservatives to the centre and reform closer to the centre.

All for a pile of votes and 1 or 2 seats in the big house
Politics needs him, put quite simply. Like him or loathe him, he's been the biggest force in UK politics post Blair (alongside maybe Boris & Krankie). I'm not expecting him to stand. Wouldn't want him to. But I'd like to see him put his full weight behind Reform. If it costs Tories seats and the election, then so be it. The Tories cannot be rewarded and given another 4 years given what they've done (and haven't done) around taxation and immigration.

tavyred

If Rwanda flights won't happen, then the Tories are definitely toast. There was some thinking that they will start happening the week of the election, therefore giving him a much needed fillip.
I think the accusation is that yesterday’s announcement was all about saving Sunak’s skin as Rwanda getting mired in the courts again would’ve probably ended his political career at the hands of his own MP’s. At least even with a forced GE campaign he’ll think he has a fighting chance of remaining in power by going to the country.
All conjecture of course.

angelic upstart

Can’t speak for Jinxy but I want Farage on the scene because he drags the Tories to the right wing places I want them to be as a social conservative.
This transcends unfortunately the result of the next GE as I fear we may have to suffer at least one term of yet more stupefying centrism of a Starmer administration.
Surely it's easier for rw voters to vote a different party in the first place?

The conservatives have largely disappointed everyone my entire life, but instead of voting NF, BNP, UKIP and many other rw parties. A fair few conservative voters want them to be further right than they are and likely will ever be as a centre right party. But won't vote for what they actually want. The UK really suffers by not having decent alternatives to labour on the left and conservatives on the right. If I had any belief in Tice I'd have voted for reform, sadly they're just another more of the same party but with some very far out beliefs without further splitting the UK's fractious population on tribal lines.

However, I do understand why you want Farage now :)

angelic upstart

Politics needs him, put quite simply. Like him or loathe him, he's been the biggest force in UK politics post Blair (alongside maybe Boris & Krankie). I'm not expecting him to stand. Wouldn't want him to. But I'd like to see him put his full weight behind Reform. If it costs Tories seats and the election, then so be it. The Tories cannot be rewarded and given another 4 years given what they've done (and haven't done) around taxation and immigration.
What about the next election after this one? The rw vote being split will surely just ensure future labour govts and infinitum?

tavyred

Surely it's easier for rw voters to vote a different party in the first place?

The conservatives have largely disappointed everyone my entire life, but instead of voting NF, BNP, UKIP and many other rw parties. A fair few conservative voters want them to be further right than they are and likely will ever be as a centre right party. But won't vote for what they actually want. The UK really suffers by not having decent alternatives to labour on the left and conservatives on the right. If I had any belief in Tice I'd have voted for reform, sadly they're just another more of the same party but with some very far out beliefs without further splitting the UK's fractious population on tribal lines.

However, I do understand why you want Farage now :)
You set out the negatives of FPTP excellently. 😎