• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends which shows you’re talking about DB9, it’s not all unfair.

Alistair20000

You're right Rosey things do evolve but these and other comedies of the 60's/70's/80's are castigated by people for being "Un-PC" Other art forms are loved like music genres, fashion, Art itself but with TV shows people are quick to put down them. Understand people do not watch TV as i did when younger and 20 million viewers for a comedy is unheard of today but the way these shows are seen as bad is so unfair.
And nobody is forced to watch anything they do not want to watch.

DB9

Depends which shows you’re talking about DB9, it’s not all unfair.
For me, Even things like Love Thy Neighbour, Although it did reflect some peoples views, The writers were very clever and it was always the bigot that ended up with egg on his face, Made to look stupid etc, Alf Garnett was the same, Came out with alsorts but in the end of each show was shown up to what he was, A bigot. The shows that millions watched were just fun, Goodies, Aint Half Hot Mum, The Comedians, Only Fools, Dear Ladies etc all these shows had great writers. The one show i thought was too far, Even back then was Mind your Language, It was weak with poor writing and showed.

Oldsmobile-88

….they do things differently there
Thanks Al...I was hoping someone would remember the rest.

Alistair20000

Thanks Al...I was hoping someone would remember the rest.
Have you ever watched The Go Between ? I can recommend it.

Rosencrantz

The thing is that pretty much any comedy of any era has it's detractors with many differences in terms of taste. You only have to look at contemporary comedy and see the complaints they can attract. Comedy has always pushed the boundaries of taste whatever the era. Even George Formby was banned by the BBC at one time. Mary Whitehouse and her followers made a career out of their campaigns.

What you are talking about really is old shows being repeated. Are You Being Served was actually one of the classic comedies remade in a series of one offs by the BBC in 2016 but didn't go well. Porridge however got a series out of it. The re-emergence of Still Open All Hours and its success shows there is still an appetite for good "old fashioned" comedy. Amazing really as it started in the seventies and of course the principal star is long gone in Ronnie Barker. But the spirit of the show remains and gets the audience.

Lots of old comedies do get repeated on various channels, but they won't show them all. I'd never even heard of Get Some In but I watched it and it was ok. Some shows have aged well and some have not.

Just as some new comedy will get complaints from an older generation (it's always been the case), some old shows will shock younger viewer's. It's always going to be a generational thing.

But with comedy and TV, the best will get repeated. That's why Dad's Army, Porridge, Steptoe and Son, Rising Damp, Only Fools and Horses and er, 'Allo 'Allo 🙂 get repeated so often along with Are You Being Served, tomorrow morning at 9am on Gold if you are wondering 😉.

DB9

The thing is that pretty much any comedy of any era has it's detractors with many differences in terms of taste. You only have to look at contemporary comedy and see the complaints they can attract. Comedy has always pushed the boundaries of taste whatever the era. Even George Formby was banned by the BBC at one time. Mary Whitehouse and her followers made a career out of their campaigns.

What you are talking about really is old shows being repeated. Are You Being Served was actually one of the classic comedies remade in a series of one offs by the BBC in 2016 but didn't go well. Porridge however got a series out of it. The re-emergence of Still Open All Hours and its success shows there is still an appetite for good "old fashioned" comedy. Amazing really as it started in the seventies and of course the principal star is long gone in Ronnie Barker. But the spirit of the show remains and gets the audience.

Lots of old comedies do get repeated on various channels, but they won't show them all. I'd never even heard of Get Some In but I watched it and it was ok. Some shows have aged well and some have not.

Just as some new comedy will get complaints from an older generation (it's always been the case), some old shows will shock younger viewer's. It's always going to be a generational thing.

But with comedy and TV, the best will get repeated. That's why Dad's Army, Porridge, Steptoe and Son, Rising Damp, Only Fools and Horses and er, 'Allo 'Allo 🙂 get repeated so often along with Are You Being Served, tomorrow morning at 9am on Gold if you are wondering 😉.
I know the shows get repeated on the various channels but my point is these shows get sneered at because some of the content is seen as offensive by some and those people are the loudest on SM, Its easy, If you don't like something or offended by things on these programmes don't watch them, Which i believe most robably haven't watched them.

Rosencrantz

I know the shows get repeated on the various channels but my point is these shows get sneered at because some of the content is seen as offensive by some and those people are the loudest on SM, Its easy, If you don't like something or offended by things on these programmes don't watch them, Which i believe most robably haven't watched them.
Why get upset by people sneering on social media? Surely your own advice about if you don't like it don't watch it applies just as well. If they get repeated on TV, what's the problem. Blimey, we were both football supporters through the eighties, plenty of sneering amongst the chattering classes in those days for being a football fan. I don't think that has put us off though 😉.

Sneering at things seen as "old hat" has been going on for time immemorial. Music Hall got a good sneering at from the Woodstock generation I'll bet. Let those who sneer get on with it. What they like now will be being sneered at before to long 🙂.

DB9

Why get upset by people sneering on social media? Surely your own advice about if you don't like it don't watch it applies just as well. If they get repeated on TV, what's the problem. Blimey, we were both football supporters through the eighties, plenty of sneering amongst the chattering classes in those days for being a football fan. I don't think that has put us off though 😉.

Sneering at things seen as "old hat" has been going on for time immemorial. Music Hall got a good sneering at from the Woodstock generation I'll bet. Let those who sneer get on with it. What they like now will be being sneered at before to long 🙂.
The problem I have with SM is that although it's a minority who use it, It is picked up and we're told everyone thinks that way because its on SM when it's not true.

Back to TV stuff, Sunday night is the return of Endeavour, Brilliant programme, Brilliant writing and acting.

Oldsmobile-88

Have you ever watched The Go Between ? I can recommend it.
No...I will check that out sometime.