• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trevor Francis

Martin Weiler

Yes his first appearance as a £1M footballer was at SJP He did not feature in the game was not wearing a football kit and sat next to Cloughie on the bench dressed in his daytime clothes.
Pretty sure he did come on as a late sub. Grecian Archive report (see post #7) says he played last ten minutes.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pretty sure he did come on as a late sub. Grecian Archive report (see post #7) says he played last ten minutes.
Indeed he did. I was there as they say. Hopefully my memory is still OK.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes he played a small cameo as a substitute - i think my memory is still intact too

haka

Yes, I was there too. Always annoying when that game is overlooked in books/TV reviews about that Forest season, and there have been a lot (it was one of the iconic seasons in football, ending in one of the iconic goals, but when they mention Francis' debut SJP seems to miss out).

Francis came off the bench to a Cowshed chorus of "what a waste of money"! (you can take the boy out of Plymouth but ... :p ). The next day in the Echo his wife said she wanted to "box their ears". I've got the clipping somewhere.

The size of the crowd shows what a big deal Clough and Francis were at the time. Nicky Jennings was very popular but the star visitors must have added thousands.

RIP Trevor.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes for Nicky Jennings.
Also sadly no longer with us.

Martin Weiler

Press photos show Francis in action with caption saying he came on in 73rd minute.

They used to occasionally stay at the Manor house hotel (Now Bovey Castle) in Moretonhampstead. I have clough's and Francis's Autograph. They were always really friendly and always had time for us. RIP

sidney

They used to occasionally stay at the Manor house hotel (Now Bovey Castle) in Moretonhampstead. I have clough's and Francis's Autograph. They were always really friendly and always had time for us. RIP
I think they came down to the South West two summers in a row, playing golf at Sidmouth Golf Club. QPR under Jim Smith did the same. That was around 1985. My recollection is that Forest were far better behaved than QPR.

MerleyRed

I think they came down to the South West two summers in a row, playing golf at Sidmouth Golf Club. QPR under Jim Smith did the same. That was around 1985. My recollection is that Forest were far better behaved than QPR.
Do I recall correctly that QPR played Torquay and trashed their changing room. I seem to remember they were on the team bus and their manager got a call to tell him what had occurred and the coach was turned around and back they went to face the music.

AlanDevlin

Do I recall correctly that QPR played Torquay and trashed their changing room. I seem to remember they were on the team bus and their manager got a call to tell him what had occurred and the coach was turned around and back they went to face the music.
Wonder what size the mobile was back then? 🤔