• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let it go Indo, Aaron isn't Matt's type of L2 defender unfortunately 😐. If another centre back comes in, I can't see it being Aaron.
Not a question of letting it go : I'm just saying what I:d like to happen. Martin wasn't Matt's first choice in the season before,.but he was almost an ever-present last season.
Warren was Matt's type, but he was farmed out. Not sure what Matt's type is any more. If he wants someone who plays like he himself played he'll be trying out different CB's forever.
Once or twice Martin was a bit indecisive or bullied out of it, but overall I think he'd score 7/10 minimum for last season.
I think he was released out of principle, which was that expired contracts would not be renewed , for whoever it was. Would have been difficult to let Moxey, L Martin etc to go but to keep A Martin.
I agree I doubt if he'll come back, I'm.just wishing that he could 👍😊

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heavily suspect his budget has or is in the process of being significantly enhanced. A expect an announcement shortly.
It's all quiet on the western front (or should I say Cliff Hill Trainging ground front). How long is shortly, same as the length of a piece of string?

Red Devon

It's all quiet on the western front (or should I say Cliff Hill Trainging ground front). How long is shortly, same as the length of a piece of string?
Hoping for indirect movement further up the food chain I expect.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
A curious close season to be sure with football still being played from last season and only a month away from the delayed start for next season.

MT has said that he was going to make two signings and has done so, and looking to utilise the youngsters for the rest of the places. Bearing in mind last year we were in the top three for the best part of it, yes we got rid of eight players with the two Martins being the regular players and the others generally flirting with their positions, do we need to make any more signings?

Regardless of last season and current speculation, we hopefully should have a fully fit Ajose playing for us up front, which if he's on fire alleviates the need for a striker as he will effectively be a new one, midfield is well covered, defence may be a bit sketchy but our first choice back four may be slow at the centre back positions but has two speedy "wing backs" to cover, and our two keepers (despite the American view) seemed to be doing okay, it will be interesting how they do with no goalie coach, but hey back in the day you only had the manager and one coach if you were lucky. Slip in a few of the youngsters as well as a loan or two then we should be raring to go.

And IF we should get a windfall before the season starts, how about sitting on it until January or even next season to see where we are and what needs doing then in the cold light of day make our moves. Matt has said that the better players have usually been signed up so why waste our money on a make-do signing at an inflated price as everyone will know we have come into some money, it could end up like Ajose last season. January is generally more expensive but it would save three months salary, the general football world may have forgotten about our windfall so lower demands, and who knows what the kids can do, last season they seemed to be holding their own in the fringe competitions.

Alright if Williams or Ajose should leave then obviously we need to cover those positions but I think we have basically a good nucleus to work with, and if our expectations are lowered as people are doing (except Jake Caprice) we may be pleasantly surprised come the end of the season. Onwards and upwards

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A curious close season to be sure with football still being played from last season and only a month away from the delayed start for next season.

MT has said that he was going to make two signings and has done so, and looking to utilise the youngsters for the rest of the places. Bearing in mind last year we were in the top three for the best part of it, yes we got rid of eight players with the two Martins being the regular players and the others generally flirting with their positions, do we need to make any more signings?

Regardless of last season and current speculation, we hopefully should have a fully fit Ajose playing for us up front, which if he's on fire alleviates the need for a striker as he will effectively be a new one, midfield is well covered, defence may be a bit sketchy but our first choice back four may be slow at the centre back positions but has two speedy "wing backs" to cover, and our two keepers (despite the American view) seemed to be doing okay, it will be interesting how they do with no goalie coach, but hey back in the day you only had the manager and one coach if you were lucky. Slip in a few of the youngsters as well as a loan or two then we should be raring to go.

And IF we should get a windfall before the season starts, how about sitting on it until January or even next season to see where we are and what needs doing then in the cold light of day make our moves. Matt has said that the better players have usually been signed up so why waste our money on a make-do signing at an inflated price as everyone will know we have come into some money, it could end up like Ajose last season. January is generally more expensive but it would save three months salary, the general football world may have forgotten about our windfall so lower demands, and who knows what the kids can do, last season they seemed to be holding their own in the fringe competitions.

Alright if Williams or Ajose should leave then obviously we need to cover those positions but I think we have basically a good nucleus to work with, and if our expectations are lowered as people are doing (except Jake Caprice) we may be pleasantly surprised come the end of the season. Onwards and upwards
Our first XI certainly looks strong enough to be up there again. And if the likes of Randall, Dyer, Hartridge etc can step in and perform well then I’d be happy not to make any further signings. The only position we seem a bit light in is CB but then again if Dyer and Hartridge are ready, we will be ok there.

With so much football to be played in the first few months of the season we may really benefit from a younger squad.

As you say, if any more players leave then we will need to replace them but I think we look in pretty good shape.

Also, I strongly suspect one or two of the ‘big spenders’ will struggle more than they expect to. Mansfield spent big last season and were 18th when the season ended. Plus, Bradford were about 10th and they had a big budget.

andrew p long

Yes, odd close season. Even with the departures ( once we remedied the loss of Aaron Martin) we could potentially put out a starting XI which when fit is much stronger than started the play Off final...

Sparkes for Richardson .
Collins for someone in midfield
Parkes for Moxey
Ajose up front

fred binneys head

Surely you missed out the biggest improvement - Caprice for Sweeney?

Corey

According to one of those twitter accounts we are interested in Joe Walsh from MK Dons, though we are apparently behind Blackpool. Think he would be a good signing.

Intheknow84

Have heard we are interested in taking forward Freddie Hinds from Bristol City on loan. Heard from someone at club he is in shortlist of striker loans we are looking at as MT wants another Str but would have to be a loan at this moment.

chunkymorrinmunter

According to one of those twitter accounts we are interested in Joe Walsh from MK Dons, though we are apparently behind Blackpool. Think he would be a good signing.
Good guitar player