• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is nonsense, I grew up just outside Exeter and moved away to University at 18. I’m well aware of how desirable it is. Many people my age (mid 30’s) would love to live and work in the SW (in my case there is no work in my field in the region).

There seems to be a weird provincial ‘woe is me’ feeling among folk from Devon that it is miles from anything and impossible to get to.
The reality is that in 3 hrs you can be in London, Birmingham or in my case home in Northampton.
I love Exeter and Devon and would move there tomorrow if my life circumstances allowed it. But you and I are biased. The unbiased view is that Devon is a sleepy backwater which is great for surfers and OAPs.

sign of the chimes

Arguably, Pompey, Saints and Bournemouth are in a similar situation.
Yeah, though suspect it's less of an issue for the other two with the contracts they can offer compared to us at the moment tbf.

You have an airport, I guess which might be helpful?

Not sure if there's data but certainly feels like higher proportions of professional footballers come from other parts of the country to ours?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the rhetoric coming from the club is becoming more negative again.

When Tisdale and Perryman left Matt Taylor was like a breath of fresh air however over the last few months it's all become a bit too familiar to what we had to put up with for years.

Hopefully this won't continue.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The problem is, if offered a one year deal with us, they have to uproot potential family, for 1 years work and then may need to move again, in other areas players may not need to move, thus letting their partners careers continue.
I think this is a much bigger factor than poor nightclubs and lack of concerts.

I think its more about the perception from people that don't live here as the reality is the Exeter area is a great place to live and work with loads to do. We're not all walking around with straw in our teeth struggling to find broadband like many seem to think.

ExmouthMart

Jake Taylor has probably signed a better deal with a team like Swindon. All the excuses are laughable about why we can’t sign decent players. Money talks. All the talk of promotion is a joke if you are not going to back it up with a decent budget and a Manager who can motivate a team and individual players to get the best out of them.
No one gets too upset when you spend a large amount of money on a screen but mention spending money on transfers and loads of people can come up with any number of reasons why it’s a bad idea. No one talks about the two committees running everything. They should be under more pressure and be more vocal. The priority should not be to provide a shop window for young players to be sold on. Some of the people on here are obviously close to the Boards, so the message is let’s have a much more consistent season and see where that gets us. Cheltenham are no bigger than Exeter, with a smaller fan base. So what’s their magic formula?! Don’t tell me it’s because they are closer to The Midlands and there’s better childcare in The Cotswolds.......

Rosencrantz

There is nothing wrong for a lot of players living in Devon, once you actually persuade them to move down here and they settle, Lee Holmes for example. It's the persuading in the first place and to be frank their options. We could offer very good money. But then another club can also offer very good money two/three hours nearer their home/family. Where do you expect them to go? Players are just more likely to be rooted nearer a high percentage of other clubs rather than those in the south west or on the south coast.

As it looks like Page and Taylor are showing, non football reasons come in to it as well because, oh wait, footballer's are human as well and have families and lives to think about.

This conversation takes place on Argyle's and Torquay's fans sites every season as well and gets mentioned by their managers also. It always has.

We will sign who we can afford and who we can attract. But hardly any club sign all their targets for various reasons. Geography can sometimes be a reason and sometimes works both ways. After all, Woody came home and so did Stanno, neither who had played (on a contract!) for us before.

IndoMike

Exeter University is amongst the top dozen universities in the UK. Not all young players want to spend their time in night clubs - that's an antiquated view.-
so perhaps some young players or in fact any players would be interested in doing a degree at the uni whilst playing for City.
With City's good record of developing youngsters that could also be in our favour.
And for young families, where better could you live? The only problem might be the kids, but I guess that would not be unsurmountable.
It's Exeter - not the Gobi Desert.
Come to Exeter : it's safe, clean, has access to a beautiful coastline and two famous moors, shopping, good restos, clean air., pasties.....You won't regret it.

PS. This was not a Devon Tourist Agency production.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter University is amongst the top dozen universities in the UK. Not all young players want to spend their time in night clubs - that's an antiquated view.-
so perhaps some young players or in fact any players would be interested in doing a degree at the uni whilst playing for City.
With City's good record of developing youngsters that could also be in our favour.
And for young families, where better could you live? The only problem might be the kids, but I guess that would not be unsurmountable.
It's Exeter - not the Gobi Desert.
Come to Exeter : it's safe, clean, has access to a beautiful coastline and two famous moors, shopping, good restos, clean air., pasties.....You won't regret it.

PS. This was not a Devon Tourist Agency production.
We all know that Devon offers a fantastic quality of life but that may not be the first consideration for a footballer, especially when contracts are short. If you sign for Rochdale and they release you, you probably have 10 or 15 potential clubs you could sign for less than an hour away without having to re-locate. For us, it's three and they are all in different divisions. I also think the travel for away games is an under-rated factor. Again, taking Rochdale as an example more than half their away games are less than 2 hours away which means their players can wake up in their own bed, leave by mid-morning and be home with their family or down the pub with their mates by 8 in the evening.

denzel

What about surfing? You cant do that in Mansfield.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about surfing? You cant do that in Mansfield.
Close to Nottingham though, the gun capital of the UK, big pull for players... :oops: