• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still holding out some hope for a couple of announcements today...

Boyo

Of course we've tried, but somewhere along the line we're messed up in terms of strategy. Selling Nombe so late in the window should only have happened with deals lined up and ready to go.

Nobody is suggesting that we should panic buy rubbish players, are they? But we should have had an action plan in place for this scenario (which has been signposted for months).
We replaced Nombe very quickly by signing Muskwe within 24 hours.

Of course, no one has explicitly stated we should sign “rubbish” players, but lots of people appear to be prioritising quantity over quality. Personally, if we can’t get quality I’d rather prioritise our youth.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
We replaced Nombe very quickly by signing Muskwe within 24 hours.

Of course, no one has explicitly stated we should sign “rubbish” players, but lots of people appear to be prioritising quantity over quality. Personally, if we can’t get quality I’d rather prioritise our youth.
We've brought in loan cover, with a much poorer scoring record, but I take the point.

I really can't see anyone expressing a preference for quantity over quality. The reality is, we no additional signings we will have missed out on both quality and quantity. GC said after the Muskwe signing he was hoping for a couple more, so I'd assume that he'll be as disappointed as us 'moaners'. Unless you think he's wrong too?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a polite reminder to the doomsayers that we could be ‘top o the league’ tonight. 😎

fred binneys head

Well it has to be said that was one of the most disappointing windows in ECFC history, and typical of the way the club operates: promise much, deliver f*** all. We’ve been promised signings more than once by the manager, but yet again it’s empty words with nothing materialising. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

of course this may all be a load of old smoke and bluster and tomorrow we’ll have more of those stupid incoming videos to whet our appetite, but for me that’s just typical of feed them anything and they’ll lap it up guff that we’ve been fed for years. I’m fed up with smart arsed hints and teasers, if weve signed someone let us know, if we missed out, let us know, if there’s nothing let us know.

So yeah, we’re one special club, we’re in it together, we’re unique, but at the end of the day we’re no different to anyone else - we’ll lead you on, we’ll promise you this, that and everything else, we’ll tell you how important you are and we’ll make glitzy videos to emphasise the point, but in the end what really matters is what we feel like letting you know, and right now that’s the square root of sod all.

Cheers City, thanks for nothing you absolute bunch of **** takers.
**** me. I’m sure your parents will collect your toys and give them back to you. Hilarious.

Ex-ciderrr

Just worried about where the goals are going to come from, a lot seems pinned on muskwe.

We’ve a very good side as we’ve all seen so far this season but weak up front, especially as we are currently with Scott injured too, muskwe gets injured let’s say and as things are at the moment it leaves us with cox who isn’t ready to effect league 1 football yet. I am disappointed we’ve not managed to strengthen yesterday.

If deals are done last night and not announced until today, I find it somewhat strange from the club not to announce it either way. On that note I do have my fingers crossed that this is the case

UTC, if this is what we’ve got, this is what we’ve got. Big game at Burton today come on you reds

fred binneys head

My take on it (assuming we haven’t got any Saturday announcements on the way) is that I’m slightly disappointed that we’ve only signed Muskwe to replace Sam and haven’t strengthened the squad, and I can understand some fans (like Max) feeling the same but to a stronger extent.

However, we can still get free agents and the club were recently being criticised for not playing the academy kids enough, so what’s the problem with playing borges, etc if we have injuries? I trust SGC as he deserves my trust given his performance to date.

And for Moxey to vent at the SM team after all they do for us, hilarious. And using the tired old line of “typical City” is double hilarious. Should have been “bleddy typical City” though for extra effect. Hopefully after a good night’s sleep he’ll be a bit less belligerent, but I’m not holding my breath. If we lose at Burton this afternoon, someone had better check on him.

Banksy

Of course we've tried, but somewhere along the line we're messed up in terms of strategy. Selling Nombe so late in the window should only have happened with deals lined up and ready to go.

Nobody is suggesting that we should panic buy rubbish players, are they? But we should have had an action plan in place for this scenario (which has been signposted for months).
Maybe we have still got a plan.Rather than panic just yet I’ll reserve my judgement until today is out.It could all end disappointingly but it’s only a game in the end isn’t it?
I naively thought our string of sales recently plus the Amps bonus would give us a bit more clout with some key permanent signings this time , probably only needed a couple to change the mood of doom on here and put us on the fringe of challenging for the playoffs at season end .Seemingly it didn’t make things easier , not surprising given the silly money slung around by some clubs. If nothing happens now we’re going to be stretched as injuries kick in.
I’m giving it time though , maybe we’ll get those couple of players announced today and miraculously everyone will say it’s o.k.Have to say I agree with some on here , I do find all these phased announcements and teasers a bit annoying , if it happens just tell the fans without the faff.Guess I’m old school here.
Appreciate today could be an anticlimax though if no one comes in now plus we’re stretched a bit at Burton with our thin squad .

Last edited:

StudentGrecian

I think the disappointing thing is that we are lacking squad players, who could have been signed at anytime in this window. I get the be patient and wait for quality that becomes available at the end of the window, but it backfires if you don’t add those bodies like we haven’t (yet).

Talk of not being able to compete with Rovers last night is pointless, we knew we couldn’t compete with them anyway, we would never have been in for JCH. We were in for squad players, which imo is much easier to sort earlier in the window.

denzel

I guess we will never find out but it would be interesting to know which of the 'definite signings' we were actually close to, and what happened.
Did Wrexham gazump us for Armstrong?
Did Morton really fail a medical yet is fine for FGR?
Did anyone agree terms before getting stuck at Gordano and seeing the 'Exeter 71' sign before turning around?