• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shower of sh1t.

Last bit of info from the club was that GC was confident of more signings at 1.45 and then nothing.

Going into a period of games where our only fit strikers are Muskwe, who GC has admitted can’t play 90 mins yet, and Sonny Cox who hasn’t shown enough yet.

Can’t wait to see Mitchell & Rankine playing as strikers tomorrow in a classic 1-0 defeat…
Yeah, I feel like today could be quite defining for our season. Such a shame as the rest of the squad building was pretty good after such a turnover. Will just have to hope there are some good free agents out there now.

Imagine we’ll get the usual “we tried as hard as we could” stuff.

Flitcroft the only real constant in last seasons poor showing in the window and again in this one. Caldwells contacts bailed us out in Jan. Dare I go there 👀

What’s quite funny about that is they’ve sold Loft 😂 so now they don’t have him or JCH
To be honest I think they’re better off playing with 10 men and no striker than with 11 and Loft up top anyway

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Connor Wickham anyone?

Mid Devon Grecian

Well that was a fascinating window, culminating in Moxey going off on one (what’s new) and Max going into melt down (what’s new).

Let’s see where we are at Xmas shall we and see how our new found wealth assists us at that point?

Not suggesting today was a great outcome but neither was it a failure. No point signing 2nd or 3rd choices just to appease inpatient fans.

supernova

Typical Exeweb again tonight. Panic stations. Surprised some of you have still got any hair left at all….

Surely ,there will be some announcements over the next few days for at least 2-3 new permanent signings….

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was a fascinating window, culminating in Moxey going off on one (what’s new) and Max going into melt down (what’s new).
Mr Moxey's been making snide remarks to anyone who's questioned the sale of Nombe for weeks ('why can't we easily replace him?' 'Stop worrying, it's not like someone's died' etc), so I'd imagine there's some personal annoyance in his latest tirade.

Max doesn't appear to have had any sort of meltdown to me. Like many of us he thinks the squad is too shallow. You can say let's wait until Christmas (just as Moxey urged us all to wait until the window closed before expressing any concern), but there's no crime in being concerned now.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
No point signing 2nd or 3rd choices just to appease inpatient fans.
Freudian slip?
Though you do have to be committed to follow City...

Boyo

It does feel like we’re a little thin, but the ascertain by some on here that we simply haven’t tried is ludicrous and really rather naive. None of us truly know who we were in for and what the reasons for those transfers not materialising were but I certainly trust those involved to be doing their best for ECFC.

I’d rather sign no-one, than panic and waste budget on players that are not going to improve us and be stuck with them for 2-3 years. The thin squad will likely yield opportunities for our academy products and it’s imperative that we keep producing.

To summarise, it’s frustrating, but I’m optimistic. Giving our kids a platform is our DNA.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It does feel like we’re a little thin, but the ascertain by some on here that we simply haven’t tried is ludicrous and really rather naive. None of us truly know who we were in for and what the reasons for those transfers not materialising were but I certainly trust those involved to be doing their best for ECFC.

I’d rather sign no-one, than panic and waste budget on players that are not going to improve us and be stuck with them for 2-3 years. The thin squad will likely yield opportunities for our academy products and it’s imperative that we keep producing.

To summarise, it’s frustrating, but I’m optimistic. Giving our kids a platform is our DNA.
Of course we've tried, but somewhere along the line we're messed up in terms of strategy. Selling Nombe so late in the window should only have happened with deals lined up and ready to go.

Nobody is suggesting that we should panic buy rubbish players, are they? But we should have had an action plan in place for this scenario (which has been signposted for months).