• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tottenham riots

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps, as has been suggested, people are finding themselves completely f*cked over by the current government's economic policy?
And the answer to that is "are they b*ll*cks". Public spending is being pared back to 2007 levels, I don't remember the country being in abject poverty in 2007.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Funnily enough, though, the people on these sink estates generally sought to better themselves, most have achieved it.
And some do not. For those kids, youth centres are a great way to keep them out of trouble.

The Indian independence fight this is not.
Correct, I was pointing out the flaw in Jase's "exception" to my comment about violent protest. No idea why you replied.

mfcrocker

And the answer to that is "are they b*ll*cks". Public spending is being pared back to 2007 levels, I don't remember the country being in abject poverty in 2007.
You're trying to claim that there's absolutely no economic difference between now and 2007? Seriously?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No youth centres, however, do not present an excuse to get into trouble.

And it was you who suggested you don't win anything without violence. I merely brought up someone who achieved a substantial amount without resorting to it (personally).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
You're trying to claim that there's absolutely no economic difference between now and 2007? Seriously?
No I'm not, that is a very dangerous inference to make. However, it's not the current government's fault that spending has had to be reined in.

mfcrocker

No youth centres, however, do not present an excuse to get into trouble.

And it was you who suggested you don't win anything without violence. I merely brought up someone who achieved a substantial amount without resorting to it (personally).
If youth centres reduce crime, removing the youth centres will increase crime. Simples?

And I stated that Ghandi's aims were helped immensely by other groups utilising violent protest.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps, as has been suggested, people are finding themselves completely f*cked over by the last government's economic policy?
Corrected for factuals

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps, as has been suggested, people are finding themselves completely f*cked over by the current government's economic policy?
Breaking News.

Cameron / Clegg revealed to be Blair / Brown in drag.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure they are, but 'people' voted this Government in*. Don't like it? General election in 4 years time. Don't go tearing through people's neighbourhoods terrorising them.

BFS, I agree with you on most things, but think of it like this - if, when the fox hunting ban came in, a load of toffs went on the rampage in Cullompton (setting alight to people's shops etc) because their peaceful protests were falling on deaf ears, would you find that acceptable?

*Sort of

mfcrocker

No I'm not, that is a very dangerous inference to make. However, it's not the current government's fault that spending has had to be reined in.
It is, however, the current government who've decided to rein in spending. This is not the only way to get out of a recession (in fact a number of people would argue that the only way out of a recession is to spend to stimulate the economy).

Appropriate blame to the current or former government as you wish, the fact remains that government as a whole is currently failing our poorest.