• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Totally "What If" happens and worst case scenario

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
When thinking about this, Other clubs who are owned by one person or a company, Often it is the fans who step in but as we're fans owned already, Who would step in?
Fans couldn't step in to save Bury and are not able to probably at Wigan. Fans Trust's at the end of the day is only a buyer, the same as any other party as far as administrators are concerned as ours were in 2003.

We are certainly not in the position to be complacent with cash in the bank at the current time and still will not be if we do get a few mil from Ollie. Until crowds are back in full and with a lot better confidence of remaining so, we need to be very careful with what we commit to paying.

Reactions: DB9

andrew p long

Genuine question. If fans aren’t allowed back in and we don’t get any windfalls, when would the money run out? On the basis of guesses less scientific than on the back of a fag packet, is it about April?

DB9

Genuine question. If fans aren’t allowed back in and we don’t get any windfalls, when would the money run out? On the basis of guesses less scientific than on the back of a fag packet, is it about April?
If Fareham Grecian is in the know when it comes to how much he says we have in the bank then next season we'd be fine.

Alistair20000

Does that count in the reported Chrisene monies ?

Spoonz Red E

I would guess there are 10 or so clubs in our Division and many in the Division above who are ahead of us in the possible administration cue if no alternative funding cover is negotiated within football. If that many clubs had hit the wall by the time we did the problem would be much much larger than what happens to us.

Fareham Grecian

If Fareham Grecian is in the know when it comes to how much he says we have in the bank then next season we'd be fine.
It was in the published accounts as at 30/6/19. We should have broken even from then until lockdown - maybe slightly better as crowds were above predictions. Then someone - Taggy? - was quoted as saying lockdown cost us £500k if we get no help with eg playoff costs. So with the Chrisene money, we should still have at least £2m in the bank.

As Spoonz says, that puts us in a better position than most of our division and probably most of L1. No room for complacency, and there are tough times coming, but we can weather this storm, with or without an Ollie windfall.

robchave

Clubs have to go into administration when they are no longer able to trade. If a company continues to trade, knowing that it is insolvent, then the directors become personally liable for debts incurred.
I suspect our biggest problem would be on going football contracts. If we had enough money to meet those, then one answer for ECFC would be to go semi-pro as players contracts ended.

Dannyred

I've been thinking with football not knowing when fans are going to be let in so clubs can some money (restricted attendences won't be a long term solution) With regards to our beloved City what if we have no money for an extended period of time and any Watkins money or other sold players sell on clauses were not in the offing and the worse came to the worse and we had to apply to go into admin purely due to having no money (Also no one person to dig into their pockets) what would happen? The Trust who run the club would have to hand it over to administrators and they would try to sell the club and any assets to pay off the mounting debts, As a fans owned club who would be there to rescue us, The Trust can't as they are the owners, People on here do not want any one person owning it, Also the size of our fan base it would be highly unlikely to raise the funds to save the club, Go to the EFL and say we can make sure we fulfill our fixtures/season, Would they accept that? Also if this did happen there would be ill feeling i think towards the Trust for getting us to this position.

Please, Please, Please, This is a purely "What If" scenario in a nightmare world but when I've seen Martin Lawrence saying quite rightly there is no money for obvious reasons and we honestly don't know what the future holds for lower league football at the moment because no one, EFL/PL/FA seem to be talking about the bottom two divisions we are really on our own i think.
Speak for yourself as I would be happy for a successful sole owner to take over.

As a club we shouldn’t rely on selling players or add on money coming in just to survive.

Rosencrantz

Speak for yourself as I would be happy for a successful sole owner to take over.

As a club we shouldn’t rely on selling players or add on money coming in just to survive.
So we shouldn't survive by relying on the deepness of any potential sole owner's pockets either then in these times. That would harm a hell of a lot of clubs at the moment.

In normal times we rely on player sales and add ons to invest, in squad or infrastructure, more than survive. Except when the eye was off the ball of course.

Fareham Grecian

Lucky you have no say in it then.