• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Totally "What If" happens and worst case scenario

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Speak for yourself as I would be happy for a successful sole owner to take over.

As a club we shouldn’t rely on selling players or add on money coming in just to survive.
A sole owner is not a garuntee of success, We only have to look at recent history, It applies to many clubs, I'm not saying a sole owner is doomed to fail but some do well and some should never be allowed to go no where near a club. My take on this and why i wrote it is because being a fans owned club and normally fans are a last chance saloon when clubs are in trouble, What group of people would take us on if the fans owned club failed in these extra ordainary times? Not the arguement of sole owner V fans owned.

Matt Phillips

I've been thinking with football not knowing when fans are going to be let in so clubs can some money (restricted attendences won't be a long term solution) With regards to our beloved City what if we have no money for an extended period of time and any Watkins money or other sold players sell on clauses were not in the offing and the worse came to the worse and we had to apply to go into admin purely due to having no money (Also no one person to dig into their pockets) what would happen? The Trust who run the club would have to hand it over to administrators and they would try to sell the club and any assets to pay off the mounting debts, As a fans owned club who would be there to rescue us, The Trust can't as they are the owners, People on here do not want any one person owning it, Also the size of our fan base it would be highly unlikely to raise the funds to save the club, Go to the EFL and say we can make sure we fulfill our fixtures/season, Would they accept that? Also if this did happen there would be ill feeling i think towards the Trust for getting us to this position.

Please, Please, Please, This is a purely "What If" scenario in a nightmare world but when I've seen Martin Lawrence saying quite rightly there is no money for obvious reasons and we honestly don't know what the future holds for lower league football at the moment because no one, EFL/PL/FA seem to be talking about the bottom two divisions we are really on our own i think.
IF things were to ever get that bad, the club would need to be creative.

For instance, we could try to sell our sell-on clauses to a bank/investor - or back to the clubs they're with (I bet Brentford would bite our hand off at paying us £2m, to remove the clause). Unlikely to give us a fair return - especially if we were already a company "in distress", but I would imagine the combination of any clauses still standing on Watkins, Grimes and Ampadu could raise in excess of £5m.

At a long shot, we could sell a security against our academy, guaranteeing an investor a cut of any future transfer proceeds over a defined period of time.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, as even if Ollie doesn't leave Brentford, I reckon we're probably going to be ok for the next year given the obvious budget reduction. But I do wonder if we could do something more and out of the ordinary, especially around the academy, to free up funds to invest into the physical infrastructure of the academy and training ground.

tonykellowfan

I think it is sensible to have a discussion like this.

However I would say that I think fans will be back at grounds in the lower leagues this season, probably before Christmas.

It will be with social distancing and no away fans I expect.

Dannyred

Lucky you have no say in it then.
So you are happy that other fans who don’t agree with you have no say too ?

Just remember the club own Nothing after all these years and are now the second sporting club in the city and third in Devon, maybe the right change is needed.

DB9

So you are happy that other fans who don’t agree with you have no say too ?

Just remember the club own Nothing after all these years and are now the second sporting club in the city and third in Devon, maybe the right change is needed.
Again Danny as I've said, This is not a thread about Trust/fans owned v Sole Owner, Please don't try to sway it towards that thanks.

Dannyred

A sole owner is not a garuntee of success, We only have to look at recent history, It applies to many clubs, I'm not saying a sole owner is doomed to fail but some do well and some should never be allowed to go no where near a club. My take on this and why i wrote it is because being a fans owned club and normally fans are a last chance saloon when clubs are in trouble, What group of people would take us on if the fans owned club failed in these extra ordainary times? Not the arguement of sole owner V fans owned.
You are right not every sole owner is a success but we have a club that needs fresh ideas.

DB9

I think it is sensible to have a discussion like this.

However I would say that I think fans will be back at grounds in the lower leagues this season, probably before Christmas.

It will be with social distancing and no away fans I expect.
Thanks TKF, Mind with our reliance on turnstile income, Like many in the lower leagues, A reduced capacity for any length of time could hurt us.

Alistair20000

Anyone know the estimated revenue loss per match from no home crowds and the related costs saved ? i.e. what is the average net loss per game ?

Fareham Grecian

You are right not every sole owner is a success but we have a club that needs fresh ideas.
‘Not every’? You mean ‘virtually no’.

And no, we don’t need fresh ideas. We can always improve the way we do things, but every time you are challenged to actually contribute something you run away.

(Sorry DB9 for keeping the thread off topic but Danny’s rubbish needs challenging 😄)

DB9

(Sorry DB9 for keeping the thread off topic but Danny’s rubbish needs challenging 😄)
No worries FG, Totally understand 👍