• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay v Exeter Friendly match day thread

David Treharne

Not really possible, in my opinion, to make very much out of the performance except to say that the changes during the game kept on making it really difficult to even guess what sort of formation(s?) we're going to see this year. Strangely I would guess that Noble is going to be crucial, and that our goalkeeping options have increased immensely. We could be going to play with two old fashioned 'wingers', but if we do we are going to have to be much more clinical in the box than we were tonight. Torquay, for their part look as thought they are going to have a squad than will be better than anything Chris Hargreaves managed to put out last year with some useful (and quite enormous in some cases) defenders. Credit to them, for there were times during the game when the caused quite considerable threats- and they look as though they've acquired a more than useful goalkeeper. If you want a resume it reminded me of why I don't like pre-season "friendlies" cos it's not really a fair assessment of what how we (or the opposition) are going to play. Roll on Saturday. Finally a big up for the 50-50 winner from City who donated half the winnings to the Gulls. Oh yes, and the traffic was all that you know it would be!

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pluses - midfield pushing up well, especially at the beginning. Tom Nicholls looking hungry for goals - a fraction away from a second after a good low cross into the goalmouth. Noble looking good. Some good, low crosses put in but their keeper was very good. Kept his eye on the ball even when crowded and got safe hands onto some very awkward crosses. Olejnik's distribution including a great long throw that started the move finishing with Wheeler crashing a shot against the post. No injuries or strains that I know of.

Minuses - still missing a trick or two in the final third despite having a lot of possession and play in the opposition half. The glancing near post header they got from a throw in for the second goal - reminded me a bit of the Warrington goal. Passes going astray too much in the second half when we ought to have kept more control.

Thought Torquay's number 22 was very good. Couldn't do anything with Wheeler's speed but concentrated on limiting his options once he'd got to the ball. He was also very good positionally (shades of Rob Edwards) and mopped up most balls that came his way.

Big test next Saturday 'though - let's hope we can sustain more of the 'best bits' seen in these friendlies over the 90 minutes.
Cheers Spoonz

denzil

"Pluses - midfield pushing up well, especially at the beginning. Tom Nicholls looking hungry for goals - a fraction away from a second after a good low cross into the goalmouth. Noble looking good. Some good, low crosses put in but their keeper was very good. Kept his eye on the ball even when crowded and got safe hands onto some very awkward crosses. Olejnik's distribution including a great long throw that started the move finishing with Wheeler crashing a shot against the post. No injuries or strains that I know of.

Minuses - still missing a trick or two in the final third despite having a lot of possession and play in the opposition half. The glancing near post header they got from a throw in for the second goal - reminded me a bit of the Warrington goal. Passes going astray too much in the second half when we ought to have kept more control.

Thought Torquay's number 22 was very good. Couldn't do anything with Wheeler's speed but concentrated on limiting his options once he'd got to the ball. He was also very good positionally (shades of Rob Edwards) and mopped up most balls that came his way.

Big test next Saturday 'though - let's hope we can sustain more of the 'best bits' seen in these friendlies over the 90 minutes".[/QUOT

Still NO purpose and guile in the last third tonight - we continually try to be like Arsenal and walk the ball into the goal..................and know what ? We aren't !
Still so worried about goals and where the hell are they going to come from ....................especially if Tom Nicols isn't there. Major plus was Wheler but when his supply dried up in the second half he was very quiet.

Yes I did go tonight and regretted it.

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Thanks for all the reports from everybody, pre-season stuff in my view is pretty irrelevant, let's stuff those Yeovil pretenders next week

Silver fox

Thanks for all the reports from everybody, pre-season stuff in my view is pretty irrelevant, let's stuff those Yeovil pretenders next week
Here's hoping AP :(

rp42

Well done all you fans that paid your money to Tor-queer tonight,so glad i did not.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Red Devon

Don't like the tone and feel to how preseason has gone, from what I've seen we need to go up at least 2 gears to be competitive!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I wonder if there will be a "behind closed doors" friendly lined up for the coming week.

It's not been an inspiring pre-season. I just hope Tisdale isn't going in to the season with the idea that we can play it safe for the first 70 minutes and then chase the game from there.

I don't think we've got the right midfield combination to protect the defence and feed the striker(s).

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I wonder if there will be a "behind closed doors" friendly lined up for the coming week.

It's not been an inspiring pre-season. I just hope Tisdale isn't going in to the season with the idea that we can play it safe for the first 70 minutes and then chase the game from there.

I don't think we've got the right midfield combination to protect the defence and feed the striker(s).
That is often what he does so not expecting him to suddenly change. Unless olejnik and brown mean clean sheets which hasn't happened so far we need to be aiming for two or three goals per game. Especially at home we need to be much more attacking. Delighted I didn't bother with the friendlies once again this year.