• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay v Exeter Friendly match day thread

denzil

I've been to quite a few PSFs and am far from optimistic on the prospects for the season ahead. Tis ALWAYS reports "there are positives to take from tonight's game" - not many as I see it.

Unless we make a BIG improvement before next Saturday v Yeovil all those floating supporters will not be encouraged to return. We have to stuff some team and score a shedload of goals - it hasn't happened and doesn't look like it will ..................................................

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Finally a big up for the 50-50 winner from City who donated half the winnings to the Gulls.
Yep, £225 into their pot, good on him. Should be named and shamed !!

hillview red

First PSF for me last night but my thoughts were.....

Positives -
Solid (and vocal) goalie plus a settled back 4 bodes very well for the season ahead. Ribiero is top drawer and his resigning is the stand out piece of business by Tis this Summer.

Tom N looks sharp and should carry on scoring like last season.

Tom McCready looks like he's got a bit about him.

Will Hoskins is clearly only approximately 60% fit but he has class and vision.

David Wheeler first half....

Negatives -

I like Noble, Oakley and Harley individually but not as a unit. There's no balance and we'll get overrun by younger and fitter teams. Tis hasn't replaced Sercombe (possibly Manny O but that looks more like a longer term investment judging by the minutes he has played in pre-season) and although people were frustrated at Serc's lack of end product, I'd hazard a guess that he covered a greater distance on the pitch than any other player last season. I'm worried that our potentially very solid defence will get caught out by a lack of cover or equally at the other end, Tom may become isolated as no-one in the current midfield 3 can go box-to-box anymore.

David Wheeler second half.... Granted he had a fine strike and hit the post but he does go missing in the 2nd half of games. I can fully appreciate why Tis uses him as an impact sub.

Danny Butterfield - After bemoaning that our midfield 3 was short of pace and drive, on comes Butterfield! He's never a midfielder..... ever. He made our slowest ever midfield slower! Remarkable. He is however clearly taking well to coaching and I'm sure that his experience is having a positive impact on our younger players.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
all those floating supporters will not be encouraged to return.
That's a biggie. I think many supporters will be thinking "same old, same old".

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't there to see it, but from a distance it seems to me that our steady pre-season build up has led up to us losing to a team who were hastily put together in the last five minutes.

The midfield trio of Oakley, Noble and Harley are clearly not going to be able (or willing) to put a shift in between them, yet those three are most likely be playing next week, trying to out-football Yeovil. Ho hum.

We have let Clinton lose what fitness he never had and are now going to re-sign him.

What on earth is pre-season for? Maybe the players would have appreciated a nice long Summer holiday, returning for work on the 1st of August.

My one hope is that pre-season form means nothing come next Saturday and somehow City can find an extra gear when it matters. Some hope.

Last edited:

GrecianWonder

We lost much composure in the second half when we lost Noble. Our loss of form mid season last year was when he was injured, I don't see a coincidence. I'm not particularly worried about a midfield 3 of Harley Noble and Oakley apart from when Davies is playing right back. He gets massively exposed to pace when the covering midfielder is Oakley. When Ribs is playing right back it won't be an issue but currently it is. I would hope to see an athletic midfielder on the right of the 3 instead, either McCready or Manny.

Contrary to others I'm concerned about our defence. Yes all individually very good defenders but we lack so much height. Time and time again it will be corners and throw ins and high crosses where we will concede goals. Another worry is the lack of technical ability held by Brown. Torquay let him have the ball and mark everyone else and he just loses possession.

Red Monster

From the Torquay forum.

Paul cox said that exeter are trying to sign Brobbel now, he came into the gulls nest after the game, he also has another couple of players to look at

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
From the Torquay forum.

Paul cox said that exeter are trying to sign Brobbel now, he came into the gulls nest after the game, he also has another couple of players to look at
Was he any good last night?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If he is any good then let's get him if we can. ******** to being nice to Torquay, let's look after number one.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good goal by Tom Nichols. We have some work to do with the defenders looking at their two goals!

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2015-08-02/the-goals-torquay-united-v-exeter-city/