• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Morrin

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another one of our old players has passed away.šŸ˜¢

Oldsmobile-88

A tough no nonsense midfielder with a nice touch.No messing with him & Graham Parker in the middle of the pitch.

Sad news coming so close after another of that team passed away.Bob Wilson.

fred binneys head

Really sad news and coming not long after the passing of his lovely wife Liz, who passed away a few months back. Tony and Liz were my godparents and I remember them both extremely fondly - they were both hilarious, great fun to be around and very warm-hearted. Such a shame for their family, their two daughters will understandably be devastated, as will the wider family. My parents were really good mates with Tony and Liz, along with Campbell Crawford and his wife, Dave Gibson and his wife, etc - as Liz once said, they were the WAGS before WAGS became a thing :)

My dad remembers Tony fondly as a good friend, but as a footballer he was a great passer of the ball. He was telling me a story last night about a time he and my mum went out for a pub meal with Tony and Liz, and Tony drank Guinness and lime all night (yes, Guinness and lime) and it made him ill later that night, which he blamed on the food.

I remember Tony as someone who made me laugh pretty much with everything he said - he was from Manchester and was similar to Peter Kaye, in the sense that just a normal conversation with him would have you laughing. Such a lovely bloke and such a shame to hear of his passing.

RIP Tony (& Liz).

Oldsmobile-88

Really sad news and coming not long after the passing of his lovely wife Liz, who passed away a few months back. Tony and Liz were my godparents and I remember them both extremely fondly - they were both hilarious, great fun to be around and very warm-hearted. Such a shame for their family, their two daughters will understandably be devastated, as will the wider family. My parents were really good mates with Tony and Liz, along with Campbell Crawford and his wife, Dave Gibson and his wife, etc - as Liz once said, they were the WAGS before WAGS became a thing :)

My dad remembers Tony fondly as a good friend, but as a footballer he was a great passer of the ball. He was telling me a story last night about a time he and my mum went out for a pub meal with Tony and Liz, and Tony drank Guinness and lime all night (yes, Guinness and lime) and it made him ill later that night, which he blamed on the food.

I remember Tony as someone who made me laugh pretty much with everything he said - he was from Manchester and was similar to Peter Kaye, in the sense that just a normal conversation with him would have you laughing. Such a lovely bloke and such a shame to hear of his passing.

RIP Tony (& Liz).
Nice that you & your family have such great memories of Tony & Liz Morrin on a sad day personally for you & your family.

Always interesting to hear stories about the players of that era even when they are tinged with a sad time.

budegrecian

Really sad news, particularly at this time of year.
I remember him signing for us in the very early 70's IIRC. He was a good bustling midfielder with hair everywhere & the 'de rigueur' 70's 'tache.
Fond memories of him from my youth & I really liked him as a player. RIP

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Club's obit

Bongo1959

RIP tony

andrew p long

Really sad news, particularly at this time of year.
I remember him signing for us in the very early 70's IIRC. He was a good bustling midfielder with hair everywhere & the 'de rigueur' 70's 'tache.
Fond memories of him from my youth & I really liked him as a player. RIP
likewise, really sad to hear of this. Growing up watching City the team pictured in the club's obit was possibly my favourite/most familiar City line up. Different days - a squad of 15 players, one of whom was the manager!

And in those days watching football meant attending (local) games not live on tv. So, playing in midfield, I wanted to emulate the playing style of Graham Parker and Tony Morrin more than/as much as Johnny Giles (and Billy Bremner!) I hope the players of that era appreciate the genuine affection many of us have for them.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten

RIP Tony (& Liz).
As FBH's brother, can only echo these sentiments.

What a lovely man, and a lovely family.

Totally agree that Tony was someone who could keep you laughing through a conversation about anything - I said the same to my Dad last night.

As a kid growing up, when they all managed to get together (when Tony and Liz came down to Devon from the Northwest for family occasions, etc.), I just remember there being so much laughter.......

RIP Tony and Liz. xx

haka

From the club link:

"He remained at St James Park until March 1977, and while he left before promotion was secured that season, he had very much played his part in building towards that success with 180 appearances in almost six seasons at the club."

Funny how the memory misleads ... I was sure he was in the promotion team. What was his last game?