• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Morrin

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
From the club link:

"He remained at St James Park until March 1977, and while he left before promotion was secured that season, he had very much played his part in building towards that success with 180 appearances in almost six seasons at the club."

Funny how the memory misleads ... I was sure he was in the promotion team. What was his last game?
I remember Tony coming back to SJP in April of that season after his transfer to Stockport..I recall it was really strange seeing him playing against the Grecians.
I had started watching around the same time as he joined the club.

fred binneys head

From the club link:

"He remained at St James Park until March 1977, and while he left before promotion was secured that season, he had very much played his part in building towards that success with 180 appearances in almost six seasons at the club."

Funny how the memory misleads ... I was sure he was in the promotion team. What was his last game?
The ECFC Bible says his last City game was a 2-0 home win against Huddersfield on 12 November 1976 so he was in the promotion winning squad at the start of the season (playing 15 games), but wasn't with them when they achieved promotion in the following May. Not sure why his last game was in November but the club are saying he left in the following March, maybe he was injured?

Oldsmobile-88

The ECFC Bible says his last City game was a 2-0 home win against Huddersfield on 12 November 1976 so he was in the promotion winning squad at the start of the season (playing 15 games), but wasn't with them when they achieved promotion in the following May. Not sure why his last game was in November but the club are saying he left in the following March, maybe he was injured?
I was trying to think why his last game was in November.
John Newman left for Grimsby in December & Bob Saxton took temporary change before being given the job permanently in January that may have been the reason ?

I have it in the back of my mind that he was injured initially.
After he left,Saxton signed on loan,Geoff Gay from Bolton & Lee Roberts from Shrewsbury.

Incidentally Tony played 13 times for Stockport after his transfer but does not appear on their books in 1977/78.

Nigel E

I was trying to think why his last game was in November.
John Newman left for Grimsby in December & Bob Saxton took temporary change before being given the job permanently in January that may have been the reason ?
Not sure exactly but I think he fell out of favour for some reason or got injured, and then we went on a good run with a very settled side. Strangely enough I kept this cutting in a scrapbook of the 76/77 season, which explains he asked to be put on the transfer list. Also says that Lammie Robertson applied to be a player-manager at Torquay!

Don't remember that at all.

20201216_163034.jpg

Tim Long

From the 72-3 City Review Supporters Association Handbook: Morrin's shot breaks the net against Cambridge.
From the following year's City Review; caption speaks for itself.

fred binneys head

Love that caption 😂

Oldsmobile-88

Tim,I think in that handbook or the year before there was a photo of Eric Morecambe in the changing rooms with a few of the players.
I have it myself but have missplaced it.Any chance of posting the photo ?

Tim Long

Tim,I think in that handbook or the year before there was a photo of Eric Morecambe in the changing rooms with a few of the players.
I have it myself but have missplaced it.Any chance of posting the photo ?
Thought it was more appropriate to the Odds & Sods Thread https://www.exeweb.com/forums/threads/odds-sods.61772/post-1942233 It's a bit grainy after I cropped it.

Gilbert

Sincere condolences and deepest sympathy to his family and friends. Fondly remembered, he gave us some good memories.

Gilbert (huuuup the City)

STURTZ

Solid player Morrin, remember that ball through the net incident well, R.I.P. Tony.

Looks like he'd been on the guiness and lime at the POTY dance!

Loved reading that cutting post Bradford, that was the start of our dramatic rise to the top, Newman built the team, Saxton gave them the motivation they needed to make it.

"Supporter of the year Dave Denley", was that Slim?

Last edited: