• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Government has announced funding a for a station on the eastern side of Okehampton which will be a transport hub.

This will also be of interest

• A £50 million grant will help create a new direct train service, linking 4 of Cornwall’s largest urban areas: Newquay, St Austell, Truro, and Falmouth/Penryn. This will level up access to jobs, skills, education, and amenities in one of the most economically disadvantaged areas in the UK.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Government has announced funding a for a station on the eastern side of Okehampton which will be a transport hub.

This will also be of interest

Not sure there ever was one to join North to South. Good news.

lamrobhero

Okehampton station to cost £13.4 million. No sign of any cost benefit analysis. Might help Mel Stride's re-elction chances. Resident parking zones next?

tavyred

Okehampton station to cost £13.4 million. No sign of any cost benefit analysis. Might help Mel Stride's re-elction chances. Resident parking zones next?
The Dartmoor line to Okehampton has been a roaring success, I believe this new west Devon travel hub will be adjacent to the A30 and help people like me who currently like to use the service but have to drive into Okey and use the station where parking is becoming an issue such is the popularity of the service.

Reactions: DB9

lamrobhero

Need stations at Bow and Sampford Courtenay to fully realise the potential.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thought Sampford Courtney was in the pipeline? Bow is away from the village but there's still quite a bit of the old station visible.

I did look up whether I could do a day trip to Bude using the bus from Okehampton but it doesn't quite work.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Sampford Courtney was in the pipeline? Bow is away from the village but there's still quite a bit of the old station visible.

I did look up whether I could do a day trip to Bude using the bus from Okehampton but it doesn't quite work.
Sampford Courtenay station was still in use when the line was only open on Sundays but was closed as part of this re-opening. The proposed Okehampton Parkway station will be 3 miles further west and close to the A30.

grecIAN Harris

Sampford Courtney? Why? You see more people at a Village Green game than live there. Try re-opening North Tawton and you might start getting somewhere although that is a little way out of the village but not as far as Bow station is from Bow village.
As for the north-south Cornish line, I heard locals on Jeremy Vine's show saying it's a complete waste of money as it pretty much already exists albeit with a change at Par (iirc).

Brinty IFA

Sampford Courtney? Why? You see more people at a Village Green game than live there. Try re-opening North Tawton and you might start getting somewhere although that is a little way out of the village but not as far as Bow station is from Bow village.
As for the north-south Cornish line, I heard locals on Jeremy Vine's show saying it's a complete waste of money as it pretty much already exists albeit with a change at Par (iirc).
Village? Did you just call North Tawton a Village??????

Phil Sayers

To get from Falmouth to Newquay by train you would need to change at Truro, get the Paddington line to Par and then get the branch line to Newquay. Two changes might sound like hassle but both the Falmouth > Truro and Truro > Par sections have regular services so it wouldn't take long to get to Par. Not sure how regularly the train from there to Newquay runs but I suspect that would pretty closely reflect demand thus rendering a new line pretty pointless IMO.