• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another game of two players involved penknives. One would throw his knife into the ground, if it stuck, the opponent would stretch his leg out to where the knife stuck out of the ground. To relieve the splits you had to throw your knife directly between the oppo's legs and make it stick. What fun !

That game was called "Split Chicken" round our way.
Ha..I remember that game.

That & empying the gunpowder from bangers to make a ‘genie’ in a tin can

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You won't be seeing these for much longer on the Island of Wight. These 1938 Metropolitan underground trains will be withdrawn at the end of the year, new track will be laid and they getting new old trains, refurbished District Line trains that will be battery operated.

DB9

You won't be seeing these for much longer on the Island of Wight. These 1938 Metropolitan underground trains will be withdrawn at the end of the year, new track will be laid and they getting new old trains, refurbished District Line trains that will be battery operated.

View attachment 3690
Remember seeing those for the first time when we visited the IOW, I thought they had their own underground system! They've certainly been used on the Island over the years.

Swanaldo

Truprint envelopes

Banksy

Another game of two players involved penknives. One would throw his knife into the ground, if it stuck, the opponent would stretch his leg out to where the knife stuck out of the ground. To relieve the splits you had to throw your knife directly between the oppo's legs and make it stick. What fun !

That game was called "Split Chicken" round our way.
Playing that at my old school , one of the antagonists got a knife through one of his feet.

Oldsmobile-88

On the subject of knives..Not seen a Jack Knife for years.
A button was pushed & the blade flicked out of the side..Bought one on a school trip to Lisbon.

A flick knife which I believe was illegal in the UK had a blade that came out from the top of the handle.

Alistair20000

View attachment 3690
Loved my couple of journeys on those when we visited IOW last year (y)

LOG

There would be a armed response team dispatched these days if a load of lads were seen roaming with Air Rifles on the streets 😁

I also had a 6” Sheaf Knife hanging from my belt in those days too 😎. 1st prize for raising the most money on Scout Bob a Job week...What a prize for a 13 year old boy..😁😁
At the age of about 11, i was with a friend when he bought a Rambo style survival knife in Tommy Moore's of all places. Just strolled in and paid, not even a hint of anyone questioning it.

Swanaldo

This reminds me, we all had Black Widow catapults back in the day. A half-inch ball bearing fired from one of those could have been lethal.

We used to climb on QE upper roof and fire eggs at the kids playing football on the quad.

contrabombarde

Mentioning air rifles,I was never allowed one,but my mate had a cracking one,powerful with telescopic sights.
One daft game was one of us had the air rifle & tried to find the other lads in a wood near the village..I still have the scar from where I was shot on the fore arm 45 years ago...Frigging madness 😁
I remember going on a school trip to London and there were several of us sleeping in a dormitory and nobody would turn the light out.

One of the boys produced an air pistol and shot the bulb. And WE think today’s kids are hooligans. :ROFLMAO:o_O