• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
TV adverts for paraffin. i.e. Pink and Esso Blue.

"They asked me how I knew,
It were Esso Blue............!"
There was also the lesser know Green variety which my dad made walk from Richmond Road to Well Street to purchase as it was "one Penny" a gallon cheaper.

As an adult I never let the stingy old bugger forget it. :)

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
TV adverts for paraffin. i.e. Pink and Esso Blue.

"They asked me how I knew,
It were Esso Blue............!"
Brings back memories.

Rosencrantz

...or when people used to stencil their names above their seats in cars SID JULIE that sort of thing with a big fluffy dice in the middle and a nodding dog on the rear window shelf, topics that have probably already covered I suppose.

Personally fixing a playing card on the back forks of my bike with a clothes peg so that it briefly made the sound of a motor was my only vehicular joy.
Did they ever do any other female names except for Sharon and Tracy?

STURTZ

Brings back memories.

The old schoolboy joke was , "What's blue and has four bums?"

elginCity

Personally fixing a playing card on the back forks of my bike with a clothes peg so that it briefly made the sound of a motor was my only vehicular joy.
Yes !

John Stocker - kudos went to whoever strutted around the playground with the the biggest stash of tea cards. The game involved two players. A target of say, six tea cards leant against a wall, and each player would take it in turns to flick a card at the target from about six feet. Whoever knocked over the last card would scoop up all the cards on the ground.

Another game of two players involved penknives. One would throw his knife into the ground, if it stuck, the opponent would stretch his leg out to where the knife stuck out of the ground. To relieve the splits you had to throw your knife directly between the oppo's legs and make it stick. What fun !

Another game called 'snipers' involved air rifles, how nobody ever lost an eye I'll never know. We were all a bit thick !

Oldsmobile-88

Mentioning air rifles,I was never allowed one,but my mate had a cracking one,powerful with telescopic sights.
One daft game was one of us had the air rifle & tried to find the other lads in a wood near the village..I still have the scar from where I was shot on the fore arm 45 years ago...Frigging madness 😁

elginCity

Worst ‘war wound’ our lot had was a pellet hitting an Adam’s apple, didn’t he yelp ! Madness indeed.

Oldsmobile-88

Worst ‘war wound’ our lot had was a pellet hitting an Adam’s apple, didn’t he yelp ! Madness indeed.
There would be a armed response team dispatched these days if a load of lads were seen roaming with Air Rifles on the streets 😁

I also had a 6” Sheaf Knife hanging from my belt in those days too 😎. 1st prize for raising the most money on Scout Bob a Job week...What a prize for a 13 year old boy..😁😁

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
There would be a armed response team dispatched these days if a load of lads were seen roaming with Air Rifles on the streets 😁

I also had a 6” Sheaf Knife hanging from my belt in those days too 😎. 1st prize for raising the most money on Scout Bob a Job week...What a prize for a 13 year old boy..😁😁
We went on a primary school camping trip to North Devon and one day walked up the old railway line to Ilfracombe where we stopped for lunch. We were allowed to roam around a bit in town and one boy bought a sheaf knife with his pocket money. When the rest of us found out where he'd bought it we raced off to the shop and all got one. I loved mine and wore it all summer. I was ten.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another game of two players involved penknives. One would throw his knife into the ground, if it stuck, the opponent would stretch his leg out to where the knife stuck out of the ground. To relieve the splits you had to throw your knife directly between the oppo's legs and make it stick. What fun !

That game was called "Split Chicken" round our way.