• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

motorservices

Id rather play Torquay twice a year than Hartlepool, the reason is we get higher gates and that means more money

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's nothing new under the sun........

"Throughout the 1930s Torquay struggled against financial problems, such as having to replace the stadium roof when it was blown off in 1930. They also failed to finish higher than 10th in twelve seasons. In the last few seasons before league football was suspended during the Second World War, Torquay struggled in Division Three South, finishing 20th, 20th and 19th out of 22 teams."
These things are cyclical.
Before my time, but in the 60's the Gulls were a good 3rd tier club I've been told.

Pete Martin (CTID)

These things are cyclical.
Before my time, but in the 60's the Gulls were a good 3rd tier club I've been told.
Yes, but that was the old Division 3. They finished 12th in 1961 and in 1962, 21st, getting relegated to the old Division 4.

They were also in the old Div. 3 between 1966 and 1972, rising to 4th place in the 1967-68 season, then progressively slid back down, being relegated again in 23rd place in 1972.

ALOTBSOL

They just need someone to buy them? Is that all? You make it sound easy, I wish there was somebody out there that would buy us. And how do we teach them to be "sustainable" when we've needed PFA loans, and are now dependent on the Grimes money to stave off another loan application. We dont have a clue how the club is run at board level, let alone teach them anything.
OK, so a couple of points in reply to this- 1) We most likely wouldn't accept a new buyer if there was someone willing. 2) I never said it would be easy, but it the hard truth of the matter. The current owner doesn't have any capital to keep the club going, and the fans can't take it over... What does that leave them? A need for a new owner. It is the only way I see them surviving at any decent level, no matter the difficulty. 3) You seem to have just ignored the final part of my comment, I'm guessing because you needed to feel important by shouting someone else down. Let me expand upon it. We had several years where we lived within our means (at least in comparison to the rest of the football league), but we do indeed seem to have forgotten how to do that. The OP also mentioned how we could assist them- That is the only way I can see that we could have possibly ever helped them, thereby responding to that question.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Id rather play Torquay twice a year than Hartlepool, the reason is we get higher gates and that means more money
Yep that would be my reason for wanting them to exist. I don't like losing to argyle, but losing to Torquay always used to annoy me because it felt like we should be good enough to beat them. Unlike Plymouth when they were going for promotion or in a higher league, I never looked at Torquay and thought they had a better side.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
No matter who the club is, I never want to see a club go to the wall. Even when argyle were having problems, I never wanted them to stop existing. I just feel, it is unfair on the fans, it is not their fault, if the club is mismanaged

mdg

Okay, went to Torquay, on Sat, and was witness to their defeat- my observations for what they are worth,
PITCH POOR, £17.OO to sit down in the Grandstand
They have some old hands and a lot of kids - no 12, very good ball player, but lightweight- Dawson started well, but looked poor and can't see him getting another League Club, on that showing, REID, played out of position, but didn't do anything to suggest, that he would be an asset to us.
Came away with the feeling that I quite often complain about us, at home, but have to confess that I wouldn't want to watch that every week.
NOTE TO MR TISDALE, AWAY KEEPER WAS OUTSTANDING -THINK HE WAS CALLED HENRY(SURNAME) DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM, BUT CANT THINK THAT HE HAS BEEN THEIR MAIN KEEPER ALL SEASON. MUST BE WORTH A LOOK

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
NOTE TO MR TISDALE, AWAY KEEPER WAS OUTSTANDING -THINK HE WAS CALLED HENRY(SURNAME) DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM, BUT CANT THINK THAT HE HAS BEEN THEIR MAIN KEEPER ALL SEASON. MUST BE WORTH A LOOK
I'm looking forward to reading PeteUSA's critique on Henry Surname in due course.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bermudan born Freddy Hall was Telford's keeper on Saturday. Now aged 30, he has made 24 first team appearances since originally signing for Northampton in July 2011. Not exactly an illustrious career, though I'm led to believe that keepers get better the more they mature.

rustle

No matter who the club is, I never want to see a club go to the wall. Even when argyle were having problems, I never wanted them to stop existing. I just feel, it is unfair on the fans, it is not their fault, if the club is mismanaged
I think that's a very good point about the fans. Whoever the team is they're the same as us, look forward to Saturday afternoon (well, mostly), support their team, hope for a win, aggrieved at a loss, want promotion or top 4. Shame to see any club go under.