• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Radio Free Skaro

Do or die win for them tonight that.
They really need Deano to stay fit!!

Boyo

Torquay lost £1.2m in 21/22 and now have debts of over £5m.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Feck me! It's an expensive business trying to get into National League South! 😱
Wonder how much it would cost to establish a team in League One? Oh hang on a mo!
Next time our resident "FM 2023 Gamers" bemoan our own "lack of ambition" and call out for sugar daddies to replace our ownership model perhaps this might serve as a salutary reminder.
(See also Bury, Oldham, Scunthorpe etc etc)

Rosencrantz

Wonder how much it would cost to establish a team in League One? Oh hang on a mo!
Next time our resident "FM 2023 Gamers" bemoan our own "lack of ambition" and call out for sugar daddies to replace our ownership model perhaps this might serve as a salutary reminder.
The other side of the argument will be...

£1.175 million spent on player transfers in that season.

Boyo

The other side of the argument will be...

£1.175 million spent on player transfers in that season.
I see the Hollywood owners have pumped in £3.6m and have committed to funding the club going forward. All fine, until they project runs it’s course and they want their money back.

DB9

I see the Hollywood owners have pumped in £3.6m and have committed to funding the club going forward. All fine, until they project runs it’s course and they want their money back.
Why would they want or even get their money back? Everyone knows owning a football club means you pump more in than you ever get back. This project you say they see Wrexham as, What is their hopeful end result? Genuine question. By the way, the £3.6m they've already pumped in is tiny if reports of their earnings/bank accounts are to be believed.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And I think I read the TV programme has made 4 millions pounds so they've made their money back already.

Boyo

Why would they want or even get their money back? Everyone knows owning a football club means you pump more in than you ever get back. This project you say they see Wrexham as, What is their hopeful end result? Genuine question. By the way, the £3.6m they've already pumped in is tiny if reports of their earnings/bank accounts are to be believed.
Maybe I’m being naive but I believe that most owners will expect some sort of return on their investment. Certainly the likes of Glazer and Ashley expect to make profits.
The Hollywood duo had probably never heard of Wrexham but they saw an opportunity to make a TV show and create a story. They are no doubt making money from that. Whether they’ll write off the money they have pumped in when the TV thing fizzles out, who knows? I suspect they’ll try to sell the club for a similar amount to what they have invested.

DB9

Maybe I’m being naive but I believe that most owners will expect some sort of return on their investment. Certainly the likes of Glazer and Ashley expect to make profits.
The Hollywood duo had probably never heard of Wrexham but they saw an opportunity to make a TV show and create a story. They are no doubt making money from that. Whether they’ll write off the money they have pumped in when the TV thing fizzles out, who knows? I suspect they’ll try to sell the club for a similar amount to what they have invested.
Think you are being a little naive, The Glazers/Man United are reportedly in £1bn in debt but can off set that with PL/TV/Commercial monies but they are trying to offload the club, The PL in general are miles off from the scraps the EFL/NL get in from TV/Sponsorship etc. The Hollywood lads have put their money where their mouths are no denying that, I don't think it's a ego project for them, They must of had a business plan etc to have their bid for Wrexham accepted, If they can afford to write off their loans means to me they have the funds to do that and more power to them. As for TUFC, They don't have that sort of money available, If they go down will they be able to stay full time again? Unlike last time they got relegated I haven't seen anything yet to say they will. I will say one thing though, Money does not buy success as a given, Look how well we've done compared to those "Moneybag" clubs in L2 and the NL, I think we've proven the point, It's not always about how much money you have, It's what you do with it like recruitment of players etc that counts.

Radio Free Skaro

Great point and as you said the ultimate salutary reminder! Bookmark this post